2018 NCAA Division III Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships
- Dates: Wednesday, March 21 – Saturday, March 24
- Swimming: prelims 10am, finals 6pm
- Location: IU Natatorium, Indianapolis, IN (Eastern Time Zone)
- Defending Champions: Emory (results)
- Psych Sheet
- Live Results
- Championship Central
Men’s 100 Yard Freestyle – Prelims
- NCAA Record: 43.16 3/24/2012 Zach Turk, Kenyon
- Oliver Smith, SR Emory 42.98*
- Roger Gu, SO Tufts 44.03
- Connor Mergler, SR Buffalo State 44.35
- Trey Kolleck, JR Emory 44.38
- Josh Tomazin, SR MIT 44.46
- Zack Wagner, SR Denison 44.54
- Isaac Casey, SR Loras 44.60
- Jacob Davis, JR Saint Vincent 44.72
- Brandon Fabian, SO Johns Hopkins 44.75
- Aaron Green, SO Widener 44.78
- Theodore Pender, SR Bates 44.83
- Thomas Thetford, SR W&L 44.86
- Collin Miller, SO UW-Eau Claire 44.89
- Lukas Menkhoff, FR Pomona-Pitzer 44.93
- Karl Sarier, JR Bowdoin 45.02
- Jack Englehardt, SR UW-Stevens Point 45.07
Pomona-Pitzer junior Ryan Drover dropped 5.7 seconds to win heat 1 in 45.82. NYU senior Chad Moody (45.89) edged MIT sophomore Peter Crocker (46.05) and Connecticut College sophomore Kaison Ifill (46.19) in heat 2. Coast Guard sophomore Joe Rodriguez dropped 3/10 to win heat 3 in 45.15 over Nazareth freshman Seth Farrand (45.28) and Kenyon sophomore Tommy Weiss (45.32). Bates senior Theodore Pender (44.83) won his heat by almost half a body length over Denison sophomores Kymani Senior (45.15) and Matt McHugh (45.18).
Tufts sophomore Roger Gu secured a win in the first circle-seeded heat, going 44.03 just ahead of Denison senior Zack Wagner (44.54) and Loras senior Isaac Casey (44.60). MIT senior Josh Tomazin improved his seed time by 2/10 to win the penultimate heat with 44.46 in a very tight battle with Johns Hopkins sophomore Brandon Fabian (44.75) and UW-Eau Claire sophomore Collin Miller (44.89).
Emory senior Oliver Smith blew away the final heat, winning by a body length in 42.98 to break the NCAA Division III record. Behind him Buffalo State senior Connor Mergler (44.35) touched out Emory junior Trey Kolleck (44.38) by .03.
Men’s 200 Yard Backstroke – Prelims
- NCAA Record: 1:43.49 3/21/2015 Harrison Curley, Kenyon
- Kingsley Bowen, JR Tufts 1:46.12
- Robert Wang, SO Denison 1:46.43
- Peyton Wilson, SO Wash U. 1:46.73
- Jason Wesseling, SR Denison 1:46.82
- Michael Bartholomew, SO Kenyon 1:46.94
- Matthew Rogers, JR Emory 1:47.57
- Sage Ono, SO Emory 1:47.73
- Emile Kuyl, JR Johns Hopkins 1:47.87
- Riley Ewing, SR Bates 1:48.46
- Chris Szymczak, JR Wheaton (IL) 1:48.66
- Colin Reardon, SO Kenyon 1:48.97
- Keda Song, FR Chicago 1:49.00
- Liam O’Shea, SO Pomona-Pitzer 1:49.06
- Patrick Wilber, SR Whitworth 1:49.11
- Dougie Kogut, SR MIT 1:49.17
- Matt Cooper, SR Kenyon 1:49.53
Kenyon senior Matt Cooper blasted a 1:49.53, improving his seed time by 7.8 seconds, to win heat 1 by a body length. His sophomore teammate Colin Reardon followed suit with another big heat win; his nearly 2-second improvement from his entry time gave him a body-length lead over Emory freshman Sven Mesihovic, 1:48.97 to 1:50.18.
Kingsley Bowen of Tufts won the first circle-seeded heat in 1:46.12, just edging Denison sophomore Robert Wang (1:46.43). Kenyon sophomore Michael Bartholomew dropped 2 to finish third in the heat with 1:46.94. Jason Wesseling of Denison (1:46.82), who placed 8th in 2017, won the next heat by about a body length over Emory’s Sage Ono (1:46.82) and Johns Hopkins junior Emile Kuyl (1:47.87).
Wash U. sophomore Peyton Wilson, who won the consolation final a year ago, took the final heat in 1:46.73, followed by Emory junior Matthew Rogers (1:47.57) and MIT senior Dougie Kogut (1:49.17).
Men’s 200 Yard Breaststroke – Prelims
- NCAA Record: 1:50.80 3/18/2017 Andrew Wilson, Emory
- Jacob Ball, JR Denison 1:59.56
- Giorgio Delgrosso, SO NYU 1:59.59
- Timothy Kou, SR NYU 2:00.10
- Sam McManus, SR DePauw 2:00.53
- Lance Culjat, SO Chicago 2:00.58
- Ryan Stevenson, JR Denison 2:01.38
- Brandon McKenzie, JR MIT 2:01.63
- Eric Fuhs, FR Coast Guard 2:01.66
- Tiernan Foster-Smith, JR Denison 2:01.86
- Kevin Van Cleave, JR Wash U. 2:01.86
- Tyler Kimbrell, SO Albion 2:01.91
- Alexander Law, SO Kenyon 2:02.25
- Reona Yamaguchi, SO Chicago 2:02.64
- Cooper Tollen, SR Emory 2:03.03
- Kieran Allsop, SO Kenyon 2:03.18
- Richard Smith, SR Bridgewater St 2:03.41
Heat 1 was full of time drops. Tiernan Foster-Smith of Denison won with 2:01.86, bettering his entry time by 2.8 seconds. Second was Bridgewater State’s Richard Smith who dropped 6.5 seconds for 2:03.41. MIT senior Justin Chiu improved his seed time by 2.3 to finish third in 2:04.33.
Denison junior Ryan Stevenson won a close contest in heat 2 with 2:01.38. Behind him were Coast Guard freshman Eric Fuhs (2:01.66) and Albion sophomore Tyler Kimbrell (2:01.91).
Heat 3 featured an exciting battle to the end, in which Denison junior Jacob Ball, 11th in this event a year ago, lunged at the finish to touch out NYU sophomore Giorgio Delgrosso, 1:59.56 to 1:59.59. Chicago sophomore Lance Culjat was third with 2:00.58.
NYU senior Tim Kou, 3rd in last year’s final, won the final heat, 2:00.10 to 2:00.53, over DePauw senior Sam McManus, 7th a year ago. Gustavus junior Tanner Sonnek, who was 5th in 2017, would have been third in the heat but was disqualified.
Men’s 400 Yard Freestyle Relay – Prelims
- NCAA Record: 2:53.59 3/24/2012 , Kenyon (Somers, Turk, Ramsey, Richardson)
- Emory 2:58.13
- Kenyon 2:59.62 / Tufts 2:59.62
- Denison 2:59.63
- MIT 2:59.94
- Wash U. 3:00.24
- Johns Hopkins 3:00.37
- Pomona-Pitzer 3:00.39
- NYU 3:01.83
- W&L 3:01.99
- Williams 3:02.00
- Rowan 3:02.06
- UW-Stevens Point 3:02.35
- Calvin 3:02.80
- Bates 3:03.61
- Conn College 3:04.30
DePauw beat St. Thomas in the first heat, 3:04.95 to 3:06.99. Kenyon (David Fitch, Tommy Weiss, Robert Williams, and Matt Cooper) touched out MIT, 2:59.62 to 2:59.94, to win heat 2.
In the next heat, Tufts (James McElduff, Lawrence Lau, Zachary Wallace, and Roger Gu) also won a touch-out, and also with 2:59.62. They got to the wall 1/100 ahead of Denison (Drake Horton, Kymani Senior, Matt McHugh, and Stuart Hohm).
Men’s 1650 Yard Freestyle – Slowest Heats
- NCAA Record: 14:56.44 12/1/2016 Arthur Conover, Kenyon
- Meet Record: 14:59.56 3/18/2017 Arthur Conover, Kenyon
Top 8 times from morning session:
- Joshua Graves, JR MIT 15:35.71
- Connor Rumpit, SO Kenyon 15:40.45
- Calvin Brouwer, FR Grove City 15:43.47
- Robert Williams, JR Kenyon 15.45.47
- Tim Hagemeister, FR Kenyon 15:47.89
- Keven Stahl, FR York 15:53.34
- Fielding Fischer, FR Kenyon 15:59.40
- Taylor Rowe, JR Coast Guard 16:02.91
In heat 2 (heat 1 swims in tonight’s final), MIT junior Joshua Graves, who was 3 seconds behind Kenyon sophomore Connor Rumpit at the 1200, ended up winning by nearly 5 as he bettered his seed time by 5.8 and touched first in 15:35.71. Rumpit dropped 3.3 from his entry time and touched second in 15:40.45. Third to the wall was Grove City freshman Calvin Brouwer with 15:43.47.
Robert Williams of Kenyon took 26.9 seconds off his seed time to win heat 3 over teammate Tim Hagemeister, 15:45.47 to 15:47.89. It was a good morning for the Kenyon distance crew, who put up four of the top 8 times in the morning session with freshman Fielding Fischer (15:59.40) rounding out the quartet.