2021 EUROPEAN JUNIOR SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Tuesday, July 6th – Sunday, July 11th
- Foro Italico, Rome, Italy
- Heats at 9:30am local (3:30am EST)/Finals at 6pm local (Noon EST)
- LCM (50m)
- Start Lists/Results
- Day 1 Prelims Recap | Day 1 Finals Recap
- Day 2 Finals Heats Sheets
There is only 1 scratch to report ahead of the second evening session at the 2021 European Junior Swimming Championships. Spain’s Carmen Weiler Sastre has decided to drop the women’s 100 freestyle for which she qualified in 5th place with a 55.72.
Without Sastre in the final, 9th place finisher in the 100 free semi-final, Tamryn Van Selm of Great Britain will get a spot in the final. Van Selm originally missed the final by only 0.01 seconds, having swum a 55.80 in the semis which trailed 8th place finisher Matilde Biagotti of Italy who was a 55.79.
Carmen Weiler Sastre‘s in not unexpected as she will be swimming the 100 backstroke semi-final just 2 events after the 100 freestyle final is set to take place. Sastre is the top seed in the women’s 100 backstroke, having hit a 1:01.37 during the prelims. Her swim trailed her top-seeded entry time in the event of 1:00.66. She was followed in the heats by Belgium’s Roos Vanotterdijk with a 1:01.82 and Great Britain’s Katie Shanahan with a 1:01.92.
Sastre is also slated to race the women’s 50 backstroke and 50 freestyle later on this week and is entered as 11th seed (29.13) and 5th seed (25.40), respectively.
The day 2 evening session as 2021 European Juniors will feature 11 races total including 5 individual semi-finals, 5 individual finals, and 1 relay final. The top seeds heading into those 11 events are as follows:
Top Seeds – Day 2 Finals
- Men’s 100 Backstroke: Ksawery Masiuk (54.35)
- Women’s 100 Freestyle: Daria Klepikova (55.04)
- Men’s 50 Butterfly: Josif Miladinov (23.71)
- Women’s 50 Breaststroke: Benedetta Pilato (29.98)
- Women’s 800 Freestyle: Merve Tuncel (8:28.03)
- Mixed 4×100 Freestyle: Russia (3:33.34)
Top Seeds – Day 2 Semi-Finals