USA Swimming has released its psych sheets for the 2015 Junior National Championships, with Maxime Rooney, Ella Eastin and Michael Andrew among the biggest names.
The meet begins next Thursday, July 30th, in San Antonio, Texas.
Rooney, the nation’s top NCAA prospect of the ongoing recruiting season, will swim a very full event lineup. In true Florida Gator fashion, the Gator commit will take on 6 events over the 5 days of action, headed by the 200 free, where Rooney was last year’s Junior National runner-up.
Rooney will swim the 50, 100 and 200 frees, plus the 100 and 200 fly and the 100 back.
Eastin is an incoming freshman with the loaded Stanford Cardinal, and she’ll swim an equally-daunting lineup. Eastin is entered in both butterflys, both breaststrokes, both IMs and the 100 back, and she’s the top seed in three of those races (200/400 IM and 200 fly).
Michael Andrew has a pat 5 events over the 5-day meet, with most of his signature races represented. Andrew won his first Junior National title last summer in the 100 back, and he’ll be back to defend that event. He’ll also contest the 100 fly, 100 free, 200 IM and 50 free – the latter two races saw him climb to within striking distance of the 15-16 National Age Group records in the past few weeks.
Interestingly, though, Andrew will not swim the 100 breast, which is the only event he’s managed to break a 15-16 NAG in so far. Andrew might be saving that race for Senior Nationals, which will take place the following week in San Antonio.
A few other swimmers might be planning similar strategies, saving some major events for Senior Nationals. 15-year-old Reece Whitley will swim the 200 breast at Juniors, but not the 100. (He’ll also swim 200 IM at Juniors, just a two-event lineup). U.S. Short Course World Champs team member Katie Drabot is entered in just one race, the 200 IM.
Just a few of the bigger names and their event entries:
- Maxime Rooney: 50/100/200 free, 100/200 fly, 100 back
- Michael Andrew: 100 free, 100 fly, 100 back, 200 IM, 50 free
- Ella Eastin: 100/200 fly, 100/200 breast, 200/400 IM, 100 back
- Taylor Ruck: 50/200/400/800 free, 100 back, 200/400 IM
- Sean Grieshop: 200/400 free, 200 fly, 200 breast, 200 back, 200 IM
- Reece Whitley: 200 breast, 200 IM
- Katie Drabot: 200 IM
- Miranda Tucker: 100/200 breast, 100 fly, 50/100 free, 200 IM
- Alex Valente: 100 fly, 100 back, 50 free
- Mark Jurek: 200/400 IM, 100/200 fly, 400 free, 200 breast