In preparation for the upcoming Maria Lenk trophy, a handful of Brazilian stars jumped in for a tune up at a Pinheiros time trials meet last week. Butterfly standout Nicholas Santos had an explosive performance in the 50 fly, rocketing to the fastest time in the world this year with his 23.01. That’s just 2 tenths shy of his lifetime best in the event, which stands as a 22.81 from the 2013 World Championships.
Also among the stars swimming in the meet was veteran sprinter Cesar Cielo, the World Record holder in the 50 and 100 freestyles. Cielo, the most successful Brazilian swimmer in history, is seeking redemption this season after missing out on a chance to represent Brazil at the Rio Olympics.
Cielo made a big drop from his former season best time, turning in a 22.04 to tie for 14th in the world this year with the Netherlands’ Thom Boer. That makes him the 2nd fastest Brazilian this year, as he’s just .02 shy of Bruno Fratus’ 12th-ranked 22.02.
Other Notable Results:
- Felipe Franca was the fastest man in the 50 breast, putting up a 27.35 to become the 11th fastest performer in the world this year.
- Joao Gomes and Pedro Cardona tied in the 100 breast, as both hit the wall in 1:01.83 ahead of Franca (1:02.09).
- South American Record holder Manuella Lyrio won 3 races at the meet: the 100 free (55.35), 200 free (2:00.45), and 400 free (4:19.87).
- Pamela Alencar Souza became the 3rd Brazilian woman to break 2:30 in the 200 breast. Her 2:29.73 is the fastest time done by a Brazilian in the post-supersuit era.
- Full results of the meet can be found here.