Applications due 02/15/20
Location: 31105 Thousand Oaks Blvd, Westlake Village, CA 91362, USA
Provides direct leadership, coaching, encouragement, and motivation to YMCA swim team coaches and members. Collaborates with coaches and volunteers of other swim teams to establish league rules and coordinate swim competition events. Relates to members, parents, other coaches, and YMCA staff in a positive and professional manner at all times.
1. Supervises, trains, leads, and supports all swim team coaches assigned to the swim team.
2. Leads a team during Annual Campaign.
3. Coaches team members to continually improve their stroke technique.
4. Fosters personal growth, personal safety, stroke development, sportsmanship, and fun during each swim practice and swim meet.
5. Uses positive reinforcement techniques to teach team members to accept and model YMCA Core Values of Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility.
6. Plans and leads team building activities.
7. Constantly watches all team members to ensure their safety during practice, team activities, and swim meets.
8. Communicates the child’s progress effectively to parents and the child.
9. Prepares swim team members and facilities (if hosting a meet) for competition and lead in organizing participants.
10. Collaboratively participates in establishing and modifying league rules and scheduling swim meets.
11. Demonstrates proper use of equipment to swim team members.
12. Cleans up team practice and competition area.
13. Participates in scheduled staff meetings and training events as required.
14. Recruits, trains, and supports parent volunteers.
15. Must be available to work weekends when swim meets are scheduled.
16. Performs other job-related duties as requested and necessary.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness
to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and
skills in technology.
1. At least 18 years of age.
2. At least 2 years prior swim team coaching experience.
3. ASCA Level II certified within 6 months of hire.
4. CPR, FIRST AID, AND AED certified through a nationally recognized sanctioning organization.
5. Proof of valid certification as USA Swim Coach, Y Swim Lesson Instructor, ARC Water Safety Instructor, or ASCA Swim Coach.
6. Must complete all online trainings before hire, which will be compensated for accordingly.
7. Previous experiences as a competitive swimmer.
8. Ability to perform all swim team skills and stokes correctly and proficiently.
9. Must understand and be able to teach the mechanics of all swim team strokes, skills, and strategies.
10. Ability to communicate effectively to team members, parents, and coachers.
11. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different background.
12. Ability to plan, lead and participate in activities.
13. Ability to speak to plan and lead program activities
14. Must be available evenings and weekends.
15. Criminal record clearance.
1. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
2. Ability to see to supervise children
3. Ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
EFFECT ON END RESULTS
Successful performance of this job will ensure a well-run swim team program where children succeed and develop competitive swimming skills, sportsmanship, and lifelong fitness.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected]
31105 Thousand Oaks Blvd.