Team Sopris offers a year-round USA Swimming swim program for anyone who lives in the Roaring Fork Valley and nearby communities from Vail to Rifle. The team exists to provide an opportunity for youth and adults to learn about and participate in competitive swimming. Our goal is for every swimmer to be prepared to compete to the maximum of his or her ability and have fun doing so.
Team Sopris is seeking qualified applicants for our Head Coach position. Team Sopris is a year-round competitive and developmental swim team consisting of between 50-70 swimmers in four levels: Developmental, Age Group, Junior and Senior, as well as a Master’s program. The position requires a technically qualified individual who is enthusiastic and passionate about coaching, with excellent organization and communications skills.
This is a year round salaried position. Starting wage will be based on qualifications and experience.
- The ability to create and nurture an energetic and connected team environment for all swimmers, parents, and coaches.
- Strong understanding of technique for multiple levels of swimmers.
- Comprehensive understanding of stroke development and conditioning.
- The ability to identify and effectively correct technique deficiencies.
- The ability to effectively set and communicate goals and expectations to each swimmer in a manner sensitive to their age, development, and skill.
- The ability to create and administer effective and focused workouts that challenge and motivate the swimmers in a manner sensitive to their age, development, and skill..
- Ability to create and administer effective and focused dryland workouts that support and complement pool workouts and goals. (Understanding of human physiology and strength training)
- Understanding and appropriately applying conditioning and tapering techniques.Encourage team morale and fully participate in and support social events and fundraisers to encourage team unity, financial strength, and a sense of community.
- The ability to and balance a wide variety of swimmer skill levels.
- The ability to adjust expectations and intensity to accommodate injuries to encourage recovery, motivation, and connection.
- Maintain/track individual knowledge of each swimmer’s strengths and weakness and work with them individually to develop their skills (goal setting).
- Effective individual communication skills.
- Motivating the swimmers and parents for full participation and enthusiasm.
- Ability to recruit, retain and grow the team.
- Proficiency in Meet Manager, Team Unify, and to stay up to date with other pertinent swimming social media sites and programs.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Workout scheduling.
- Swim meet scheduling.
- Home swim meet organization and administration.
- Be a liaison between the Swim Team Board, parents, and support communities; maintaining open lines of communication between all
- Maintaining a positive working relationship with administrators and personnel involved in the operations of our exercise facilities.
- Supervise and train assistant coaching staff.
- Attend Swim Team Board meetings.
- Contribute/coordinate the Team Sopris web-page
- Organize Team tryouts and pre-competitive programs for team growth and community outreach.
- Current USA Swimming coaching certifications, in good standing.
- Three years or more of coaching experience, preferably in a head coach position.
- References, as requested, with contact information.
- Acceptable background checks/screening and drug testing prior to employment and then as requested.
- Certifications/training with USA Swimming programs.
- Experience in supervising staff members.
- Experience in directing team activities to build morale and spirit.
- Experience in fundraising and planning club events.
- Experience in organizing and running clinics.
- Experience in training other coaches.
- Experience in creating and managing budgets and expenses.
- Competitive swimming experience.
- Attend all workouts.
- ACTIVELY coach the swimmers.
- Attend or have adequate cover for all swim meets.
- Determine meet schedule.
- Identify, organize and attend travel meets for additional swimmer development.
- Assist with the Team Sopris web page content, including providing training tips, links, or videos.
- Attend all team functions.
- Actively participate in growing the team.
- Promotes a positive environment for all.
- Professional and upstanding behavior consistent with the USA Swimming Code of Ethics.
How to Apply
Submit your resume to Cristi Newton at [email protected] or 970-384-6316.