The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Coney Island YMCA is seeking individuals who will be responsible for maintaining safe conditions at the branch, and promote a safe and positive atmosphere in accordance with YMCA of Greater New York aquatics policies and procedures. The Swim Instructor will also provide swim instruction for different ages and ability levels and motivate his/her participants.
- Must be Instructor Ready: uniform, lesson plans, maintain records (attendance, track progress and complete end of session report).
- Instruct participants according to YMCA aquatics program standards: using all 5 components, guided discovery, effective class organization and positive relationship with participants.
- Ensure instructional equipment remains in good condition; have all equipment ready prior to classes and put away after.
- Must attain the YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification within 120 days of hire.
- Know and understand the Emergency Action Plan and Emergency Evacuation Routes.
- Enforce aquatics safety rules consistently and fairly.
- Maintain positive relationships with class participants, parents, non-class members and staff.
- Promote other aquatics programs and have knowledge of pool schedule and programs.
- Maintain certification level of physical and mental readiness. Responsible for recertification before expiration.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Current YMCA Swim Lessons certification or equivalent.
- Current CPRO, First Aid and Emergency Oxygen certifications.
- Demonstrate swim strokes and CPRO/FA/EO skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Swim Instructor” to [email protected] or to:Coney Island YMCA
Attn.: Oytun Tangul
2980 West 29th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11224
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
How to Apply
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Swim Instructor” to [email protected]