Date posted: March 17, 2023
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Swim & Dive Associate Head Coach
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 50216
This candidate also has the potential to make an additional $15,000 teaching PE courses if qualified.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 04-03-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It’s known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus’s DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
At UC Santa Cruz, we strive to enrich the total educational experience by promoting physical activity, encouraging health and wellness, building community, and cultivating leadership. Through our diverse offerings in athletics, classes, workshops, outdoor adventure trips, intramural sports leagues, tournaments, clubs, drop-in activities, and recreational facilities, we strive to provide opportunities for UCSC students, staff and faculty, retirees, alumni, and local community members to participate. As one of the largest student employers on campus, we also have many work-study and non-work student jobs in our facilities and programs. Our goal is to provide a wide variety of professional programs and physical activities that promote and enhance community, learning, leadership, lifelong wellness, and academic success.
More information can be found here: https://goslugs.com
In partnership with the head coach, helps develop strategies for developing and maintaining large and / or highly visible intercollegiate sports programs. Responsible for overseeing specific aspects of the sports program, ideally the distance group. May provide guidance to other personnel. Assumes head coach responsibilities as needed.
Salary Information: Salary by Agreement: $40,000/annually.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation rate for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted rate. The salary shown above is the rate the University reasonably expects to pay.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- By Agreement Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week By Agreement
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri and weekends as necessary
- Shift Includes: Day, Evening, Weekend
Employee Classification: This is a Contract appointment
Job End Date: 06/30/2024
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: ASC HEAD COACH CRD 4 (000331)
Travel: Up to 50% of the time
40% – Plans and implements the training season, in conjunction with the head coach, to maximize performance at the end of season meet.
30% – Independently conducts practices, conditioning sessions and team meetings. Coaches team at meets. Plans travel/meals for away meets.
15% – Works in conjunction with head coach in athlete recruitment and fundraising activities.
10% – Ensures adherence to all governing rules, university, department, conference, NCAA policies and procedures, including student-athlete benefits.
5% – Represents and promotes professional conduct, university good will and high standards at all promotional and media related events including games.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training with a college-level program.
- Advanced interpersonal, motivational and team leadership skills to work effectively with athletic participants, staff and parents of student athletes.
- Ability to demonstrate creativity, sound judgment and decision-making; be an effective problem solver.
- Ability to verbally communicate in a highly effective manner with a diverse population, and for live media presentations.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse audience, in writing, in a highly effective manner.
- Advanced knowledge of the sport of swimming and technical coaching principles.
- Leadership skills to mentor and develop student-athletes, assistant coaching or program instruction staff and skills in effective assistant coaching.
- Current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the affiliated athletic conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) or National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the campus adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Experience coaching distance swimmers.
- 2 Years+ coaching collegiate level swimmers.
- Possession of ASCA Certification Level 2 or higher
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California and be able to participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) pull notice program.
- Must possess CPR/First Aid/AED certification or have the ability to obtain it within 60-calendar days of hire.
- Must possess NCAA Coaches Certification (Recruiting) or have the ability to obtain it within 60-calendar days of hire.
- Possess Lifeguard or Safety Training for Swim Coaches certification or have the ability to obtain it within 60-calendar days of hire.
- Ability to perform essential physical job functions.
- Will be required to work all scheduled hours on-site.
- Ability to work a variable schedule.
- Ability to work a variable schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- Clery Act : This position has been identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA); required to report crimes, incidents, and disciplinary referral statistics as required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20 USC § 1092(f)).
- The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to ‘My Activities’. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
How to Apply
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application: