Applications due 03/31/18
The Assistant Duis Center Manager/Stingray Swim Team Director/Head Coach is responsible for providing leadership and supervision of the District’s Stingray Swim Club, aquatic programs and any other assigned programs, activities and areas.
The Assistant Duis Center Manager/Stingray Team Director/Head Coach is responsible for performing the essential functions as outlined in this job description. The Assistant Duis Center Manager/Stingray Team Director/Head Coach is a full-time/exempt employee who may work in excess of fifty (50) hours per week. Work pace varies depending on the task required. The position requires the ability to work in the hard level (100 lbs. or less).
The Sterling Stingray’s Swim Team is a year-round competitive swim team located in Sterling, Illinois. Our team is a Sterling Park District program that currently has between 50 to 60 members. We have an indoor facility that is comprised of a 6 lane 25 yard pool and a separate diving well with one diving board. During the summer our Elite training group travels to Clinton, Iowa where we have access to an outdoor 8 lane 50 meter pool for long course training. Further information on the team or the facility can be found by visiting our website at www.sterlingstingrays.org and http://www.sterlingparks.org/location/duis-recreation-center/.
The Assistant Duis Center Manager/Stingray Team Director/Head Coach is under the direction of the Duis Recreation Center Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS-STINGRAY TEAM DIRECTOR/HEAD COACH
- Responsible for the day-to-day direction, hands on guidance and involvement in all aspect of the Stingray Swim Club, including working with swimmers, parents and coaching staff.
- Responsible for effectively coaching one or more age group levels as well as setting strong, positive, enthusiastic and highly energetic tone for all age groups.
- Oversees and manages the process of meet selection, meet entries, scheduling and coordinating of home and away meets.
- Responsible for the recruiting, supervising, evaluating and managing the performance and professional development of all Assistant Coaches.
- Develops and implements the latest and most effective training plans for stroke technique, training, dryland progressions and taper strategies for a wide range of swimmer ages and abilities.
- Provides active involvement in the recruitment, development and the progression of swimmers in all age groups that will both maintain and grow team membership.
- Works with all swimmers and parents in determining appropriate goals; and, fosters in swimmers, important attitudes and skills such as discipline, goal setting, time management and healthy habits that will benefit them throughout life.
- Regularly communicates with swimmers and families through a variety of channels and methods, including but not limited to regular swimmer and parent meetings, newsletters, emails, SPD/SSSC websites, etc.
- Responsible in securing team and meet sponsors as well as the coordination of all team fundraisers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS-ASSISTANT DUIS CENTER MANAGER
- Develops and promotes aquatic programs and activities including but not limited to social and competitive programs/activities for youth and adults, private and group lessons, clinics, camps, and special events.
- Assists in the development and implementation of pricing and other strategies to recruit new and retain current aquatic participants.
- Recruits, recommends, selects, trains, supervises, schedules and evaluates part-time personnel under the direction of the Duis Recreation Center Manager. Conducts an on-going evaluation of the District’s aquatic related staffing needs and makes adjustments to ensure programs operate efficiently and create an environment for success.
- Monitors trends in aquatic programs to ensure the District is offering the best/latest in facilities, equipment, programs, and activities.
- Evaluates, recommends, and prepares specifications and purchases of aquatic related equipment and supplies.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative planning and working relationships with other local community agencies and service organizations.
- Evaluates assigned areas on a regular basis. Prepares and issues reports as needed and as requested.
- Coordinates staff, pool schedules, swim meets and other events with the Duis Recreation Center Manager.
- Publicizes aquatic related and other assigned programs/areas/activities to the community through a wide variety of formats with the assistance of the Duis Center Manager and the District’s Marketing Manager.
- Assist in the preparation of the budget; recommend expenditures for assigned areas in accordance with said budget.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Adheres to established safety practices as outline in the District’s Safety Manual and/or set for the by the District’s Safety Committee.
- Assists with maintenance and repairs at assigned facility.
- Attends conferences, workshops and seminars as required/needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the Duis Recreation Center Manager.
- At least 21 years of age
- Certified or ability to become certified in CPR/AED, First Aid and Coach’s Training
- Certified USA Swim Coach
- A valid Illinois State Driver’s License (Class D).
- Organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to maintain positive and effective working relationships with other employees.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and TeamUnify.
- Desire to contribute to the long term success of the Duis Recreation Center, Stingray Swim Team and assigned other programs and activities.
- Desire to live in a vibrant, small town, family friendly community of 26,000 residents.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Four-Year College degree, with previous age group swimming and /or coaching experience preferred.
- Certified USA Swim Coach
- Minimum first year compensation of $32,000 with a possible higher starting wage based upon qualifications and experience. In addition, a health insurance stipend; dental insurance; retirement plan; and paid vacations, personal days, holidays and sick days are also included in the benefit package. Additional incentive base compensation may be considered/negotiated at time of hire.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply on-line at www.sterlingparks.org
211 E. St. Mary's Road
Sterling, IL 61081