Applications due 10/17/17
A Proud Swimming Legacy and Commitment to Excellence. STAR Swimming has had a tremendous history since 1961 with many swimmers reaching great levels. The mission of STAR swimming is to empower swimmers to become champions, both in and out of the water – Dreams, Dedication and Excellence throughout a lifetime. We are a team who are focused on teaching the best stroke mechanics as well as trying to get our swimmers to be the best version of themselves. STAR has won 30 out of the past 34 Niagara championships.
Outstanding Facilities. STAR swimming has one of the region’s best year-round training and meet-hosting facilities at the Erie Community College (ECC) downtown Buffalo NY campus, which includes a 50 meter pool, a 25 yard pool, locker/shower facilities, coach offices, available gym and meeting space.
Highly Committed Families and Swimmers. STAR Swimming has a strong and highly committed membership base, with great potential for future growth. STAR has approximately 100 registered members at their ECC site in downtown Buffalo, NY, and has a satellite site in Jamestown, NY that has 30 registered families. The team has approximately 130 swimmers in total. The team also prides itself with a learn-to-swim Novice and Tadpole program, with future growth potential.
Critical Experience, Knowledge, and Skill, and Other Qualifications
- Current member of good standing with USA Swimming (background check, First Aid, CPR, Safety Training for Swim Coaches)
- A strong background in competitive swimming with a minimum of 5-10 years swim coaching experience
- Reliable self-starter who displays energy and positive motivation to swimmers
- Well-versed in Team Unify, Hy-Tek Team Manager and Meet Manager
- Bachelor Degree Preferred
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Passion and enthusiasm for competitive swimming and a clearly demonstrated desire to excel and grow professionally
- Vision for developing the membership of STAR swimming
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with other coaches, the Board of Directors, the local swim center management/staff, volunteers, parents and athletes and be a strong advocate for the sport of competitive swimming
- ASCA Level 4 preferred
- Ability to connect our senior swimmers with universities and colleges and assist families in making their child’s goals of swimming post-secondary a reality
- Be well versed in making bids for high performance meets such as LSC championships, Zones and Speedo meets in order to expose our swimmers to high caliber swimming opportunities
Key Head Coach Responsibilities
- Responsible for the day-to-day direction, hands-on guidance, and involvement in all aspects of the swim program, including working closely with parents, swimmers, Board Members and coaching staff.
- Responsible for effectively coaching at specific at one or more age group levels as well as setting a strong positive, enthusiastic and highly energetic coaching tone for all age groups.
- Oversees and manages process of meet selection, meet bidding, meet entries, and scheduling and coordinating of home and out of town meets.
- Responsible for recruiting, hiring, and managing the performance and professional development of STAR assistant coaches.
- Represents and serves as an ambassador for STAR at district meetings and other regional and national swimming meetings and events, and in coordinating with other swim clubs and organizations.
- Communicates, consults and works closely with STAR Board of Directors, including attending Board meetings with reports and updates on the team’s performance and progress.
- Develops and implements the latest and most effective training plans in stroke technique, training, dryland progressions, and taper strategies for a range of swimmer ages and abilities.
- Provides active involvement in the recruitment, development and the progression of swimmers in all of our age groups to grow and maintain team membership.
- Communicates with families and swimmers through a variety of channels and methods, including regular swimmer and parent meetings, newsletters, email, STAR website, etc.
- Works with swimmers and parents in determining appropriate goals and fosters in swimmers important attitudes and skills such as discipline, goal setting, time management and healthy habits that will benefit them throughout life.
- Develops, maintains and updates policies to benefit the overall welfare and membership development of the Club.
- Works with ECC administrators and staff to ensure that STAR’s interests are well represented and addressed concerning the facility.
Salary and Benefits
- STAR offers a competitive salary and benefit package, details to be negotiated with highly qualified finalists
How to Apply
Interested applicants should apply by October 20, 2017. Please send cover letter, resume and references to Jennifer Eisenmann, board president.
Email: [email protected]
Or mail to:
OR Mail to: Star Swimming
PO Box 361
Hamburg, NY 14075
c/o Jen Eisenmann
PO Box 361
Hamburg, NY 14075