Applications due 10/07/18
Location: 1001 Highway 7, Hopkins, MN, USA
Minnesota Swimming Inc. (MN Swimming) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit Local Swimming Committee representing USA Swimming in Minnesota and western Wisconsin. Approximately 65 swim clubs, 8,700 year-round athletes and 800 non-athletes constitute the membership. MN Swimming exists to serve the competitive swimming community from introductory swimmers to national and Olympic champions. More information is available at www.mnswim.org.
LOCATION: MN Swimming office, Eisenhower Community Center, room #250, 1001 Highway 7, Hopkins, MN 55305
HOURS AND TYPE: Full-time, Exempt
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary, $55,000 or greater, commensurate with experience and record of successful achievement.
BENEFITS: Group health insurance plan, SEP IRA contribution, paid vacation
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 7, 2018
The MN Swimming Sport Development Director provides leadership and direction to enhance and optimize athlete performance, coach effectiveness and club development within the Local Swimming Committee (LSC). The Sport Development Director is committed to developing and implementing strategies that successfully achieve MN Swimming’s vision and mission and in alignment with USA Swimming core objectives. The Sport Development Director focuses on delivering and executing programming with measurable results that continuously improve members’ ability to achieve their highest levels of success in the sport of swimming. In this role, the Sport Development Director also evolves best practices, efficiently uses resources, effectively communicates, and enthusiastically promotes the sport of swimming.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 years head coaching experience with a USA Swimming team or other established youth sports organization required OR a combined 10 years of sports or coaching education and head coaching experience.
- Computer skills required including proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and electronic mail. Utilization of TeamUnify, and social media preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency to use athlete performance data to develop, plan and implement programming and services to achieve MN Swimming performance objectives.
- Ability to travel within the LSC territory, as well as regionally and nationally, as necessary. Availability to attend MN Swimming Board of Directors meetings, committee meetings (as assigned), and House of Delegates, as well as USA Swimming Convention, national and zone workshops, and meetings as applicable to this position.
- Willing to work evenings and weekends when needs dictate the Sport Development Director’s presence.
- A USA Swimming Non-Athlete Member in good standing or successful registration with USA Swimming prior to employment, including applicable background check approval and completing Athlete Protection training, is required. MN Swimming will also comply with all current requirements and recommendations of the USA Swimming Pre-Employment Screening Program for New Employees.
The ideal candidate:
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal and written skills to effectively communicate with a diverse membership of athletes, coaches, volunteers, staff, and members.
- Shows recognized ability to develop positive professional relationships within an organization.
- Works well in a collaborative team setting, in a member-represented nonprofit organization with proven problem solving and confliction resolution skills.
- Exhibits a history of a disciplined and goal-oriented self-starter with a high level of initiative. Proves strong planning, organizational, and time management skills to work efficiently and independently.
- Is capable of greater management responsibility in addition to the Sport Development Director role.
- Athlete Performance
- Develop a Quad plan for athlete performance
- Enable educational and programming opportunities that improve athlete performance.
- Steer committees with athlete performance responsibilities.
- Club Development
- Develop a plan for the Quad to enhance club development
- Conduct club visits to enhance the development and operating success of MN Swimming clubs.
- Enable educational and programming opportunities that improve club organizational effectiveness and build the base.
- Leverage the USA Swimming Club Recognition and Club Excellence Programs that recognize top performing clubs.
- Coach Effectiveness
- Develop a plan for the Quad to augment the professional success of coaches in MN Swimming.
- Enable educational and programming opportunities that improve coaching skills and supports professional growth.
- Work in collaborative manner with complementary coach organizations (high school, college, ASCA, etc.)
- LSC Communications and Effectiveness
- Lead the rules & regulations for swim meets process
- Lead planning for MN Swimming championship meets
- Oversee the meet evaluation process
- Team Minnesota
- Supervise coach and manager contractors for Team Minnesota
- Provide oversight of the development and implementation of the Team Minnesota budget and policies
- Staff Supervision
- Meet Sanctioning Coordinator
- Technical Assistant
- Event Director
- Direct members and committees to create content for educational events such as Swimposium, House of Delegates education sessions, USA Swimming’s Club Leadership and Business Management School, and other USA Swimming clinics in the LSC territory.
- Direct and work collaboratively with the athletes for opportunities/events that recognize athlete performance
This description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job; other duties may be assigned.
Key Reporting Relationships: The Sport Development Director reports to the Executive Director. There is frequent and regular collaboration with other staff, consultants and/or volunteers working in the competition, athlete performance, club development, and coach effectiveness areas of the organization.
Minnesota Swimming Inc. is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via email to the Executive Director or by standard mail or fax. Examples of work may be included (i.e. hard copy, electronic copies, or Internet URL)
Bob Crunstedt, Executive Director
Minnesota Swimming Inc.
1001 Highway #7, Room 250
Hopkins, MN 55305
Email: [email protected]
Office: (952) 988-4185
Fax: (952) 988-4183
Eisenhower Community Center, 1001 Highway 7, Hopkins, MN 55305