Applications due 10/15/17
To coach swimmers in Singapore Disability Sports Council (SDSC) swimming programme to hit agreed performance targets in international competition and major games. This programme includes athletes targeting the Asian Para Games in 2018 and preparing for the 2020 Paralympic Games.
The role of the High Performance Coach will encompass several key areas of operation for the swimming programme. The applicant will be expected to:
- Generate, implement and manage training programs of identified swimmers on a daily basis and work with club-based coaches to ensure quality programs are delivered to prepare athletes for international competition and major games.
- Develop and assess individualised multi-year athlete development programmes, which includes regular review meetings with individual swimmers, SDSC and Singapore Sports Institute (SSI) to discuss performance progress and goals, and submitting performance analysis and other reports as required, e.g. for spexScholarship programmes.
- Collaborate with the SSI sports science and medical staff to ensure training programs are optimising all available knowledge and resources to deliver the highest quality.
- Travel to all international and major competitions as directed and coach swimmers included in the contingent as directed. Lead sports science staff to support athletes in the competitive environment.
- Support the development of performance pathways within swimming in Singapore and collaborate with other swim coaches to strategise coaching and trainings in support of the pathways.
- Participate in national training camps and national swimming competitions as agreed with the SDSC and SSI.
Management and administration
- Liaise with SDSC on facility usage and participate in relevant meetings with SSI.
- Provide pastoral support and care to high performance swimmers in conjunction with other coaching, academic and performance sport staff.
- Identify potential swimmers for high performance.
- To undertake other management & administration roles that will enhance the high performance programme and personal development of high performance swimmers.
- Assist SDSC and SSI in preparing, managing and monitoring budget for the high performance squad.
- Contribute to the sharing of coaching ideas and skills within the high performance educational forums available in Singapore.
- Actively work to promote para swimming generally, in support of SDSC’s strategic vision.
Points To Note
The purpose of this job description is to indicate the general level of duties and responsibility of the post. The detailed duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character or level of responsibility entailed.
It is recognised that coaches working at this level will often have links with representative sides. This is seen as advantageous as long as it does not interfere and affect the overall development of your squad and SDSC’s strategic goals for para swimming.
It will be necessary to work outside normal office hours including squad sessions in the early mornings, evenings and on weekends.
This position will report to SDSC, as well as the SSI for athletes who are on spexScholarships.
Your application will be reviewed against the essential and desirable criteria listed below. Applicants are strongly advised to explicitly state and evidence how they meet each of the essential (and desirable) criteria in their application.
Length of Contract
This position will be based in Singapore for an initial 12-month period with the possibility of extension through to the 2020 Paralympic Games. The position may be either full or part-time but applicants must be able to commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week and have availability to travel to key competitions and major games. Salary will be dependent on the applicant’s qualifications & relevant experience.
|Coached high performance swimmers to qualify and/or achieved at international competition and major games (e.g. World Championships, Paralympics), preferably in para swimming.|
|Proven record of planning and implementing multi-year athlete development programmes, to lead to high performance and/or high level achievements.|
|Skills & abilities
|Deep and up-to-date knowledge of coaching and training methodologies, preferably in para swimming.
|Excellent communication, athlete management and motivation skills.|
|Excellent organisational and time-management skills.
|Software proficiency for analysis, report writing and general communication.
|Master SG-Coach or international equivalent.
|Updated First Aid and Health and Safety requirements and work towards more advanced coaching qualifications.
|Willingness to work irregular hours as necessary.|
|Experience||Coached athletes who participated or achieved at recent cycles of Paralympic Games
|Possess a good knowledge of Paralympic swimming and the World Para Swimming classification system.|
|Coaching certificate in para swimming from IPC Swimming, World Para Swimming or its affiliates in para swimming
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected] For further information contact Kang Tze Wei at [email protected]