Date posted: January 24, 2023
Location: 99 Meserole Ave, Brooklyn, NY, USA
Salary: $18.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Greenpoint YMCA is seeking qualified individuals who will be who will be responsible for maintaining safe conditions in and around the swim area at the branch. The Lifeguard will promote a safe and positive atmosphere in accordance with YMCA aquatics policies and procedures.
- Must be Rescue Ready: uniform, pocket face mask/gloves, whistle and rescue tube.
- Continuous and active scanning of the pool.
- Know and understand the Emergency Action Plan and Emergency Evacuation Routes.
- Enforce aquatics safety rules consistently and fairly.
- Perform second duties, as requested, only when not lifeguarding.
- Maintain positive relationships with members and staff.
- Follow the directions of the YMCA of Greater New York aquatic supervisors, in accordance with the YMCA aquatic standards.
- Must attain the YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification within 90 days of hire.
- Maintain certification level of physical and mental readiness. Responsible for recertification before expiration.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard certification or equivalent.
- Current Basic Life Support and First Aid and Emergency Oxygen (if required by certification organization).
- Demonstrate swim strokes, lifeguard rescues and BLS/BFA/EO skills.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization. If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement** All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK | Where there’s a Y, there’s a way.