Applications due 03/01/19
Board of Directors and under supervision of the General Chair and Administrative Vice Chair
To inspire excellence through innovation and leadership.
To offer our members programs which promote swimming and achieve excellence through education, innovation and commitment to leadership.
SPORT DIRECTOR ROLE:
The Sport Director will passionately provide leadership and direction to ISI in enhancing and optimizing athlete performance, coach effectiveness and club development. The Sport Director will be committed to developing and implementing strategies that successfully achieve swimming performance in support of ISI’s vision and mission and in alignment with USA Swimming. The Sport Director will focus on delivering and executing programming with measurable results that demonstrate continuous improvement of overall ISI swimming performance objectives. In this role, the Sport Director will also evolve best practices, efficiently utilize resources, effectively communicate, practice good non-profit governance and enthusiastically promote the sport of swimming.
SPORT DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Sport Director will develop, implement and successfully facilitate programs, services and activities in the following key areas of responsibility:
- Enhance the development and competitive success of ISI athletes.
- Enable educational and programming opportunities that improve athleteperformance.
- Assist the Age Group, Senior, Open Water and Diversity & Inclusion Committees tocollaboratively support:
- Implementation of Quad athlete performance plans and goals.
- Creation of skill-appropriate athlete training programs / camps.
- Help develop and designate roles for each camp.
- Increasing athlete achievements in all age groups and at all levels ofcompetition within ISI and beyond ISI.
- Monitoring athlete results and statistics, comparing to establishedperformance objectives.
Developing and implementing programs that recognize top performing athletes.
- Enhance the development and professional success of ISI coaches.
- Enable educational and programming opportunities that improve coaching skillsand supports professional growth.
- Assist the Coaches Committee to collaboratively support:
- Enhancing athlete training and improve athlete performance;
- Creating coach and staff development programs/clinics;
- Providing coaches with team performance evaluations tools;
- Developing and implementing programs that recognize top performingcoaches.
1. Enhance the development and operating success of ISI clubs.
2. Enable educational and programming opportunities that improve club
organizational effectiveness and build the base.
3. Assist clubs with strategic planning, operational efficiency, parent education and
4. Establish a process for sharing club best practice ideas throughout ISI.
5. Identify and support new pool facility or existing pool facility improvement
opportunities, assisting clubs in participating in these initiatives and connecting
these projects with USA Swimming Facilities Department.
6. Develop and implement programs that recognize top performing clubs.
1. Coordinate ISI Championship Meets.
2. Assist with Athlete Recognition Banquet.
3. Assist committees and task forces in coordinating meetings and communication. 4. Assist in coordinating USA Swimming sponsored programs and activities.
5. Attend all major ISI events.
Board of Directors and Committee Liaison
- Develop and Implement ISI Quad and Annual Performance Plans.
- Provide organizational continuity and conduct orientation on performance goalsand objectives during transition to new BOD members.
- Attend and actively participate in all BOD, HOD and committee meetings:
- Facilitate all discussions relating to performance goals and objectives;
- Report measurable performance outcomes;
- Routinely communicate ongoing activities;
- Assist committees in executing and monitoring all programs to ensureprogress and facilitate communication
- Support business management activities as directed by BOD, including but not limited to, budget development and forecasting, financial reporting and controls, documentation maintenance and website updates.
- Payroll and Accounts Payable Authorization.
Ambassador for ISI and the Sport of Swimming
- Represent and promote ISI identity and performance goals internally tomembership and externally to sponsors, media, at-large civic community and
- Develop and implement Public Relations programs and communication campaignsto publicize ISI programs and athlete achievements.
- Serve as ISI liaison to cultivate relationships with IHSA, University/Collegeprograms, YMCA, pool facilities, etc.
- Align opportunities to participate in and/or support USA Swimming and CentralZone performance programs and services
- Evaluate Shared Services opportunities with other LSC’s.
- Track sponsorships – contract dates, contacts, requirements. Also, delegate out toothers to follow up on possible new sponsors. Work with main contact on closing the deal.
1. Maintain necessary levels of certification with USA Swimming.
2. Extend hospitality to all guests and members of ISI and USA Swimming.
3. Demonstrate openness to ideas, input and direction from the BOD and HOD. 4. Partner with elected and non-elected volunteer board members and work in a
collaborative manner with other staff, committees, task forces and volunteers to
plan and implement performance goals and objectives of ISI.
5. Develop a model for building consensus with the organization.
6. Follow the policies, practices and procedures of ISI and USA Swimming.
7. Communicate in a timely and effective manner, using appropriate methods. 8. Remain current on the use of technology to advance the sport.
SPORT DIRECTOR REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- USA Swimming Non-Athlete Member in good standing (or successful registration prior to employment, including background check approval and completing Athlete Protection training) required, including substance screening.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree or equivalent career experience preferred.
- Knowledge of USA Swimming and competitive swimming required. A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience coaching a USA Swimming/YMCA team required.
- Proven development of athletes to achieve national level performance preferred. Demonstrates a personal commitment to advancing the sport of swimming.
- A disciplined and goal-oriented self-starter with a high level of initiative expected. Proven strong planning, organizational, and time management skills to work efficiently and independently. Capability to understand the business needs and governance oversight of a non-profit USA Swimming organization.
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal and written skills to effectively communicate with athletes, coaches, volunteers, staff and other members. Recognized ability to develop positive professional relationships within an organization and with external contacts. Works well in a collaborative team environment.
- Computer skills required including proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and electronic mail. Utilization of Team Unify, QuickBooks and Social Media preferred.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally, as necessary. Willing to work evenings and weekends when needs dictate the Sport Director’s presence.
- Professional and Personal References required. SPORT DIRECTOR COMPENSATION:Compensation will be in a range commensurate with experience and record of successful achievement. Benefits package to include health insurance stipend, matching retirement contribution plan and paid vacation.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should direct their resume to ISI’s Personnel Committee at
1400 E. Touhy Suite 410
Des Plaines, IL 60018