Location: 14909 Little Blue Rd, Kansas City, MO 64136, USA
FLSA Status: Exempt – Full Time 10-month position
Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Head Swimming Coach is responsible for the management and administration of all activities related to his/her sport and exercises direct supervision of recruiting, training, and coaching student-athletes participating in the sport. As a member of the Jewell Community, the Head Swimming Coach is fully responsible for compliance with all College policies and procedures as well as all applicable bylaws of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC). At William Jewell College, Intercollegiate Athletics are a meaningful part of a student’s educational experience and are considered to be a co-curricular activity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct the sport program in strict compliance with all applicable NCAA and GLVC bylaws
- Promote academic excellence and graduation by monitoring academic progress, study tables, academic meetings, and class attendance
- Organize and administer practice sessions and other related training activities
- Oversee the recruitment of prospective student-athletes in a coordinated effort with the Office of Admission.
- Manage athletically-based financial aid in a coordinated effort with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarship Services.
- Develop and manage the sport operations budget including equipment, travel, meals, uniforms, supplies, etc.
- Coordinate team travel for competition to include van or bus itineraries, lodging, and meals
- Drive vans to transport team when appropriate
- Submit appropriate reports and forms to administrative staff as requested
- Actively participate in GLVC coaches conference meetings where applicable and be available for all GLVC coaches’ conference calls
- Recruit and supervise coaching staff
- Conduct, organize and participate in community engagement, community service, and fund-raising activities
- Plan, promote and conduct camps, clinics, and/or lessons.
- Work collaboratively with the Office of Advancement to cultivate relationships with alumni and other friends/supporters of the College
- Serve as Director of Aquatics to coordinate open swim, lifeguards, rentals, and other recreational aquatic activities
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Progressive experience as a coach in the sport, head coach and collegiate experience preferred
- Master’s degree in physical education or related field is preferred with a demonstrated commitment to excellence in academic program of study
- Familiarity with appropriate athletic governing organization rules and regulations (NCAA, GLVC)
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- An understanding of the unique opportunities and challenges in the environment of private higher education
- Certified Lifeguard through American Red Cross or other nationally recognized certifying entity.
- Certified Pool & Spa Operator preferred
- Have, or be willing to obtain, a Missouri Class E Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
Normal office environment as well as indoor and outdoor athletics facilities. Some travel required.
Evening and weekend work required. Physically able to lift 25 pounds and attend practice and
competitive sessions indoors and outdoors.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
How to Apply
Candidates must submit the following documents via email to [email protected]:
- Letter of application
- William Jewell College application
- Salary Requirements
The application can also be found on our website at www.jewell.edu/jobs.
Please note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position is open until filled.
All final candidates must successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: We educate our community to ask reflective questions, apply critical thought, and act with purpose.
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
William Jewell College
500 College Hill
Liberty, MO 64068