Applications due 03/01/19
Location: 11 Pinney Street, Ellington, CT 06029, USA
Under the supervision of the Aquatic Director, the Head Swim Coach will be responsible for carrying out the overall purpose, goals, objectives and philosophies of the YMCA of Greater Hartford and the YMCA of the USA. The Head Swim Coach should be ready to take the Swim Team Program to the next level.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives.
- Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships and partnerships with community organizations.
- Promotes and models strong character development among program participants and staff; encourages habits that foster a strong community and team spirit that is consistent with YMCA core values.
- Understands and completely adopts the Team Philosophy. Then ensure that the (often rotating) board members, assistant coaches and parents all understand and model it as well.
- Attends and league board meetings, and takes charge on any issues that may affect swimmers or coaches, vote in line with the coach philosophy and other association coaches.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develop schedules and directs coaches and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates coach performance.
- Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures
- Records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Oversee, support and communicate with the coaching staff. Provide educational opportunities where possible to coaching staff and volunteers.
- Develop and implement an appropriate training program, practice schedule and meet schedule for the entire coaching staff and team. Ensure that all other programs and schedules are appropriate for the age, and adhere to the Team Philosophy.
- Develop and implement “dry land” strength, conditioning and nutritional program appropriate for all age and swimming levels.
- Meet with swimmers and/ or parents to discuss goals and progress, and to ensure that any concerns are addressed within a timely manner.
- Proficient using Team Unify, Hytek Meet Manager and Microsoft applications.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
- Is knowledgeable of daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Collaborates within the YMCA Aquatic Dept. to properly schedule pool facilities for all competitive swimming activities.
- Coordinates all contracts for outside competitive swimming programs that utilize Countryside YMCA facilities.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 21 years of age preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years as the Head Coach of a competitive swimming program including managing and developing two (2) or more assistant coaches
- Up to date in USA and YMCA coaching credentials preferred, or ability to obtain with 30 days or less.
- Proficiency in Hy-Tek and Team Unify.
- Must possess the knowledge and ability to teach all competitive strokes, rules and regulations to team members.
- Must be able to plan practice sessions and swim meets, bring creative programming ideas to the team, maintain equipment and show a responsible attitude toward the team.
- Must adhere to established YMCA Youth Sports philosophies, goals and objectives.
- In addition to the above requirements, it is expected that the Head Swim Coach will bring to his/her position maturity, responsibility, positive values and sincere interest in working with people and shaping young athletes.
- Requirements within 30 days of hire include: completion of:
- Background check
- Completion of YMCA program-specific and trainer certifications.
- YMCA Lifeguard certification or ARC LG/ARC Safety Course for Swim Coaches; CPR; First Aid; AED; • YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving; YMCA Swim Coach Certification
- Ability to obtain a USA Swimming membership
Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
How to Apply
Apply online at GHYMCA.ORG
11 Pinney Street