Applications due 03/01/19
Location: 705 Lambuth Boulevard, Jackson, TN, USA
Jackson Swim Team is the only program of its kind in a 60 mile radius offering a comprehensive swim program for a variety of ages, interests, and abilities. We are seeking an enthusiastic head coach to lead, further develop, and expand our existing swim program with the help and support of a volunteer parent board. We are a non-profit, board-governed, coach-led team.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK: Implement and manage an existing year-round competitive, recreational, lesson, and adult swim program for the greater Jackson, Tennessee area. Oversee daily practices, meet schedules, and assistant coaches.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Contribute to and advance the overall team philosophy on coaching, swimmer development, and team dynamics. Implement and improve on the existing programs at the competitive, recreational and swim lesson levels to attract and retain swimmers. Motivate and inspire swimmers to set, meet, and surpass their goals.
- Be a USA swim coach in good standing. Instruct on coaching techniques, evaluate performances, and initiate disciplinary action as needed. Demonstrate swimming technique, observe students to detect and correct mistakes. Aid in goal-setting.
- Respond to outside inquiries within 1 business day, help new families choose the right program for their child. Perform swim evaluations. Look for opportunities to recruit and promote swimmers.
- Develop and carry out seasonal training plans, including “dry-land” strength-training that will complement water training, to help swimmers reach their potentials.
- Plan and post seasonal competition schedules for all groups. Review and submit entries for all swimmers participating in USA Swimming competitions and local meets. Record meet results and post on team website.
- Coordinate and post practice times for training groups based on skill levels, coach availability, school hours, and facility availability.
- Evaluate swimmer skill level initially and periodically and place in appropriate group accordingly. Maintain minimum requirements for team participation and criteria for defining the different groups.
- Create and post staff schedules for practices, lessons, and meets. Mentor qualified assistant instructors to teach lessons and coach swimmers as needed. Maintain and ensure all necessary coaching certifications for self and assistants. Participate in coach evaluation and improvement efforts. Record coaching hours and pool usage hours and provide monthly reports.
- Maintain regular and timely communications with swimmers, parents, coaches, and board members. Attend monthly board meetings. Host periodic parent meetings to educate and inform parents. Maintain “office hours” to confer with participants and parents to resolve grievances, explain rules and regulations, and discuss concerns off the deck.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of the latest coaching techniques through research and continuing education.
- Communicate with facility staff and adhere to facility use requirements. Promote and enforce adherence by all members. Submit required documentation to the facility.
- Be punctual and timely in meeting job performance requirements, including but not limited to, attendance and tardiness standards and work deadlines.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS: Perform related tasks as required.
IDEAL KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Knowledge of physiological, psychological and developmental needs of participants.
- Knowledge of current aquatic coaching techniques, training, and teaching methods.
- Knowledge of TeamUnify software to submit meet entries, assist in registrations, and update website regularly.
- Communication skills.
- Ability to plan and schedule the work of others.
- Ability to work independently and to plan and organize programs.
- Ability to analyze the needs of swimmers with varying levels of physical and mental ability.
- Ability to administer first aid and other life saving precautions according to prescribed procedures.
EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE: College degree in related field and one year experience head coaching competitive swimming or any combination of education, training, and experience providing the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform essential job functions. Personal experience in competitive swimming.
WORKING CONDITIONS: In and around pool facility. Requires traveling to attend swim meets and clinics.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: all USA Swimming Coach certification requirements including First Aid, CPR, Coach’s Safety Training, and coach education. Must be able to pass background check.
How to Apply
Send the following information to [email protected]:
- A letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the applicant is prepared to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Include a statement describing your coaching philosophy.
- Current resume
- List of at least three current references with contact information. References will not be checked until final interviews are conducted and agreed upon by you and the team.
- Salary expectations
A member of our hiring committee will acknowledge receipt of your information. We are working to relieve/replace our existing head coach who will be stepping down but available to help with the transition. This is a year-around position with competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include incentives related to team growth.
107 Barrett Place