Applications due 03/01/20
Location: Harrisonburg, VA, USA
******************THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED********
Virginia Gators in Harrisonburg, VA seeks a passionate head coach committed to motivating and developing athletes from novice to state and national levels.
ABOUT HARRISONBURG, VA:
Harrisonburg’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley setting provides an abundance of community resources while maintaining a reasonable cost of living, making it an ideal place to work and raise a family. The Harrisonburg-Rockingham area offers historic and contemporary neighborhoods; excellence in education, including regionally-ranked elementary, middle and high schools, plus diverse options for higher education; world-class health care; historic sites and recreation; and shopping and commerce. Harrisonburg is located just 1 hour from Charlottesville and 2 hours from Richmond and Washington, DC. James Madison University is located in Harrisonburg and Bridgewater College is located nearby.
1. 3+ years experience as a head coach or head age-group coach at a USA Swimming certified swim club
2. Demonstrated history of successfully developing competitive, high-performance swimmers and successfully progressing them from an age group program to the national level
3. Knowledgeable in and able to communicate current and proper stroke technique and development, dryland conditioning programs and taper strategies for all swimmers from age group through senior swimmers
4. Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
5. Able to motivate swimmers of all abilities to achieve their full potential
6. Able to manage and mentor staff of assistant coaches, ensuring implementation of team philosophy and goals
7. Ability to communicate with parents and board members, and create and follow a sustainable budget
8. ASCA Level 3 certification (or equivalent) required, Level 4 preferred
9. Member in good standing with USA Swimming and current with all background checks and required certifications
10. Familiarity with Team Unify, Hy-Tek, and other swimming social media and software programs.
11. Bachelor’s degree required.
12. Significant national club or collegiate swim experience preferred.
- Oversee and supervise the training program for all swim groups and clinics
- Coordinate the practice and swim meet schedule
- Effectively supervise, mentor and delegate responsibilities to the staff of assistant coaches
- Serve as the primary deck coach for the Senior and National level swimmers
- Identify and effectively correct technique deficiencies for swimmers in all groups
- Attend monthly board meetings, provide a monthly coach’s report, conduct staff meetings, and execute staff reviews and swimmer evaluations
- Set team meet schedules for the SCY and LCM seasons and assist in organizing the home meet.
- Attend all local and travel meets and schedule sufficient coaching resources for meet coverage and practice coverage
- Encourage a fun, interactive, yet highly competitive atmosphere that self-motivates swimmers to attain and surpass their personal goals and expectations. Lead by example
- Oversee meet information, results, publicity, travel, newsletter, and website content
- Motivate swimmers and parents for full participation and enthusiasm
- Recruit, retain, and grow the team
Salary & Benefits: Personal & Vacation benefits. Competitive salary ($40-$50K range commensurate with experience)
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Priority deadline March 1. Start date open – no later than August 2020.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send cover letter detailing experience and coaching philosophy, resume, and three professional references to
Search Committee Chair