Applications due 05/31/19
Location: 12465 County Line Road, Chesterland, OH, USA
Hawken School, one of the premier private college preparatory schools in the Midwest, is seeking an Head Coach to lead their nationally recognized swim program. The individual will serve as Head Coach, Swimming & Diving, for Hawken School and CEO/Head Coach for the Lake Erie Silver Dolphins, a multi-site 350+ member USA-Swimming club team.
This position fills the roles of CEO/Head Club Coach and High School Head Coach. The individual will lead the program, under the direction of the Hawken School Athletic Director and Chief Finance Officer while working closely with the Chief Administrator of LESD. Key responsibilities include organizing and executing training plans for the varsity swim team and senior level club training groups, administration and strategic direction for the club team, oversight of the day-to-day operation of Hawken’s two swimming pools, and budget development and implementation. This is a full-time, year-round salaried position with benefits.
Successful candidates should possess:
- A four-year degree from a college or university in recreation or a closely related field, or possess an equivalent combination of education and experience in both USA coaching and aquatic management.
- The following certifications:
- USA certification
- ASCA Level 4 or higher
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a head-coaching role at a recognized USA-S club (i.e. Silver or Gold Medal Club Team). High school coaching experience also highly desirable.
- Strong written and verbal communication, organizational, and leadership skills with parents, swimmers and colleagues.
- Knowledge in the development and growth of a highly competitive club, both at the developmental and elite levels.
- Knowledge in the running of large USA-S competitions, including familiarity with meet management tools such as Hy-tek and CTS.
- Ability to effectively fundraise in conjunction with the booster club parent board, and function within the high school and club established budgets.
- Ability to develop, coordinate and direct various aquatic activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the school administration, booster club, aquatic staff, interscholastic coaches, teachers and deans, program participants, parents, volunteers and the general public.
- Knowledge that is specific to all phases of pool management and aquatic program development, including state and local health and safety standards, and all USA-Swimming and high school rules and regulations.
- Ability to utilize club software (i.e. TeamUnify, CTS, Hy-tek, etc.), technology, and equipment within the pool area.
Applicants must be able to effectively balance the roles of CEO/Head Club Coach and High School Head Coach.
Head High School Coach
Ensure the success of the varsity program at the highest level of the Northeast Ohio District and Ohio High School State Championships, while cultivating the junior varsity squad.
- Schedule and develop training plans for all abilities.
- Designs and sets team workout schedules and workout groups.
- Determines high school meet schedule in collaboration with the Athletic Director, and sets coach schedule for meet attendance.
- Communicate effectively with the athletic department, Hawken School Deans, CFO, administrative assistants, transportation and custodians, as well as the general public regarding student practice and competition schedules.
- Develops lineups for regular season and championship competitions.
- Responsibility for supervision of athletes at competitions.
- Effectively communicate with assistants, athletes, parents, and alumni.
- Recruit and retain swimmers within the OHSAA guidelines.
- Attend workshops and courses set forth by the OHSAA and Hawken School.
- Work closely with the Hawken School College Counseling office on college placement.
CEO/Head Club Coach
Ensure the overall success of the club program at the LSC and National levels.
- Maintain and increase club participation at the highest levels of the sport (i.e. Age Group Zone Championships, Futures, Junior Nationals, Nationals, Olympic Team Trials, World Championships, and the Olympics).
- Work to continually grow LESD’s recognition based on USA Swimming’s recognition and club excellence programs.
- Coach and develop training plans for the senior level group based out of Hawken School.
- Manage a dynamic group of coaches at multiple sites in two states with the help of the Team Director. Hire coaches as needed to fulfill the mission of the club.
- Educate, supervise and evaluate assistant coaches and staff.
- Represent the team at meetings, swim meets, including national level competitions.
- Attend Local Swim Committee (LSC) meetings.
- Participate in club board meetings.
- Oversee: meet information, meet coach attendance, meet results, meet publicity, best times & team records, team files & rosters, team newsletter, and media contacts.
- Participate in budget planning with the Hawken CFO. Attend quarterly budget meetings with the Hawken business office.
- Coordinate with the Hawken Athletic Director on facility usage schedules.
ABOUT HAWKEN SCHOOL AND THE LAKE ERIE SILVER DOLPHINS
Founded in 1915, Hawken School is an independent, coeducational college preparatory day school serving nearly 1,400 students in preschool through grade 12 from nine counties in Northeast Ohio.
Central to Hawken’s mission is our promise to “prepare students to navigate a complex and dynamic world with self-confidence and determination; embrace challenges with disciplined analysis and creativity; and engage others with empathy and integrity.” The fulfillment of this promise has earned Hawken a national reputation for educational excellence and innovative programming.
The Hawken high school girls swim program currently holds the third longest state championship streak in the country, winning 21 Ohio State Championships in a row. The boys program won a state championship and was state runner-up 4 of the past 5 years, and both teams are well-positioned for the future. In total Hawken has produced over 400 All-Americans, and has several state record holders currently on the team.
Lake Erie Silver Dolphins was founded in 1965, and is the premier swim club in the Lake Erie LSC with multiple practice locations across Ohio and Pennsylvania. The team is focused on developing nationally ranked swimmers while aiding in each child’s social, physical, and emotional growth. LESD has produced two Olympians, placed swimmers on numerous national teams, and has had swimmers at every Olympic Team Trials since 1968. In addition, the team has won almost every LSC age group championship over the past 30+ years.
How to Apply
Salary is commensurate with experience. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, along with three references to [email protected].
Hawken School is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to promoting diversity in the workplace and strongly urges all qualified individuals to apply.
12465 County Line Road