Applications due 06/28/21
Date posted: June 14, 2021
Location: University of Iowa
Head Coach, IFLY Swim Club (21002931)
Recreation Services at the University of Iowa is seeking application for the Head Coach of the Iowa Flyers Swim Club Program (IFLY). This position holds primary responsibility for the operation and administration of the IFLY Swim Club, including overseeing the full time Assistant Coaches and part time coaches. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Providing and/or coordinating on-deck coaching and supervision to all Iowa Flyers Swim Club participants during practice sessions and competitions.
- Conducting timely, organized, and well-planned workouts that utilize a variety of coordinated training principles in order to maximize athlete development.
- Coordinate the meet entry process and results distribution for all events in which the IFLY Swim Club participates.
- Coordinating and scheduling all swim club activity with the Associate Director for Aquatics.
- Developing and implementing swim club participation and volunteer policies and procedures for athletes and parents.
- Promoting the values of teamwork, self-discipline, dedication, work-ethic, sportsmanship, and time management with all club participants and coaches, and representing the IFLY Swim Club in state and national governing bodies for the sport of swimming.
This position will also assist in the operation of Recreational Services Aquatic facilities, programs, and special events.
For a detailed job description, please email Melanie Bell at [email protected].
About Iowa Flyers Swim Club (IFLY):
The Iowa Flyers Swim Club (IFLY) is a registered USA Swimming member swim club operated by University of Iowa Recreational Services. The club is a competitive age-group swim club open to University of Iowa members and the general public which offers participation levels from developmental through Maters swimming. The club is part of a comprehensive aquatics program offered by Recreational Services. The mission of the Iowa Flyers Swim Club is to provide exceptional competitive and recreational opportunities in the sport of swimming to the University of Iowa students, faculty, and staff, as well as to the general community. IFLY is determined to provide its members a fun, positive, and successful experience through quality coaching and instruction and the use of state-of-the-art facilities. The Iowa Flyers practice in the University of Iowa Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC) and the University of Iowa Field House.
About Recreational Services:
The Department of Recreational Services is an integral part of the Hawkeye tradition. Part of the Division of Student Life, the department promotes and coordinates campus-wide competitive and recreational activities. Recreational services works to provide a diverse recreational experience that encourages active lifestyles for the University of Iowa community. The department’s goal is to support the academic mission of the university while contributing to the holistic development of each individual.
About the Division of Student Life:
The Division of Student Life is comprised of staff that embrace new ideas and thoughts, works together to keep our students safe, and provides them with life-changing experiences. The Division of Student Life includes 15 departments that span from Recreation Services to the Office of Leadership, Service and Civic Engagement and everything in between. We believe in working together as one team to achieve our mission: fostering student success by creating and promoting inclusive educationally purposeful services and activities within and beyond the classroom. One of our division priorities is to advance UI’s goals to recruit and retain U.S. racial/ethnic minority (URM) staff and students.
- Master’s degree in Physical Education, Recreation Administration, Sports Management, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Current USA Swimming coach registration.
- Current CPR, First Aid, and Safety Training for Swim Coaches certifications as deemed acceptable by USA Swimming for coaches safety certification required upon hire.
- Coaching experience (typically 1 – 3 years) with competitive swimmers of multiple age groups and ability levels in a USA Swimming (or international equivalent), YMCA, high school, or collegiate environment.
- Commitment to and alignment with the values of the Division of Student Life, including a demonstrated commitment to excellence through anti-oppression, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated working knowledge and proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software applications (i.e. Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and travel.
- American Red Cross CPR/AED/Lifeguarding certification required within 3 months of hire.
- Willingness to obtain American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor (LGI) within 6 months of hire.
- Advanced coaching experience (typically 3 years or more) with competitive swimmers of multiple age groups and ability levels in a USA Swimming setting.
- Experience (typically 6 months or more) with swim club administration including budgeting, supervision, team travel, scheduling, policy development, and other responsibilities related to swim club management.
- Experience (typically 6 months or more) in aquatic facility management.
- American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA) Level 3 or higher certification.
- Knowledge of or experience with structured dryland strength/conditioning programs.
- Experience using Team Unify swimming team management program.
- Experience using Hy-Tek Team Manager and Meet Manager.
How to Apply
All applicants must apply online via the jobs.uiowa.edu website in order to be considered.
Direct link to apply:
University of Iowa
248 Iowa Memorial Union
125 N Madison St