Critical Experience, Knowledge, and Skill, and Other Qualifications
- Current member of good standing with USA Swimming (background check, First Aid, CPR, Safety Training for Swim Coaches)
- A strong background in competitive swimming with a minimum of 3-5 years swim coaching experience
- Reliable self-starter who displays energy and positive motivation to swimmers
- Well-versed in Team Unify, Hy-Tek Team Manager and Meet Manager
- Bachelor Degree Preferred
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Passion and enthusiasm for competitive swimming and a clearly demonstrated desire to excel and grow professionally
- Vision for developing the membership of YDSC swimming
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with other coaches, the parent advisory committee, the Y’s management/staff, volunteers, parents and athletes and be a strong advocate for the sport of competitive swimming
- ASCA Level 3 preferred
- Ability to connect our senior swimmers with universities and colleges and assist families in making their child’s goals of swimming post-secondary a reality
Key Head Coach Responsibilities
- Responsible for the day-to-day direction, hands-on guidance, and involvement in all aspects of the swim program, including working closely with parents, swimmers, parent advisory committee and coaching staff.
- Responsible for effectively coaching one or more age group levels as well as setting a strong positive, enthusiastic and highly energetic coaching tone for all age groups.
- Oversees and manages process of meet selection, meet entries, and scheduling and coordinating of home and out of town meets.
- Responsible for recruiting, and managing the performance and professional development of YDSC assistant coaches.
- Represents and serves as an ambassador for YDSC at district meetings and other regional and national swimming meetings and events,.
- Communicates, consults and works closely with YDSC parent advisory committee, including attending committee meetings with reports and updates on the team’s performance and progress.
- Develops and implements the latest and most effective training plans in stroke technique, training, dryland progressions, and taper strategies for a range of swimmer ages and abilities.
- Provides active involvement in the recruitment, development and the progression of swimmers in all of our age groups to grow and maintain team membership.
- Communicates with families and swimmers through a variety of channels and methods, including regular swimmer and parent meetings, newsletters, email, YMCA website, etc.
- Works with swimmers and parents in determining appropriate goals and fosters in swimmers important attitudes and skills such as discipline, goal setting, time management and healthy habits that will benefit them throughout life.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply by November 5, 2017. Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and references to Lori Manning, Aquatics Director.
Email: [email protected]
Or mail to:
Lori Manning, 220 W. McKinley Ave., Decatur, IL 62526
220 W. McKinley Ave.
Decatur, IL 62526
phone: (217) 872-3835