*****THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED***********
Head Coach Job Description:
The Aberdeen Swim Club (ASC), a USA Swimming club in Aberdeen, SD, is seeking an inspiring, energetic full time Head Coach with excellent leadership, communication and team building skills as well as technical expertise to coach and mentor our year-round team of approximately 120 athletes.
Aberdeen is the 3rd largest city in South Dakota (26,000+ population) and is the home of both Northern State University and Presentation College. It is a vibrant, growing community with excellent school systems and a safe and friendly environment.
About the Aberdeen Swim Club
Our vision is to develop individuals to succeed in life through participation in competitive swimming. Through this we hope to foster health and fitness in the Aberdeen area in a safe, fun, and competitive environment while promoting team unity and family participation. We have a driven and talented group of swimmers supported by their parents and a committed Board of Directors.
ASC has been serving Aberdeen and the surrounding area for over 50 years. We have won 2 state championships in the past 3 years and consistently have swimmers compete at Zones, Sectionals and Junior Nationals and continue on to compete at the collegiate level. ASC was also represented in the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Swim Trials. Our practice facilities include an indoor 25 meter practice pool in the winter and an outdoor 50 meter pool in the summer. Because swimming is not a sanctioned high school sport in South Dakota, our athletes swim with the Club year-round; therefore, this position offers a unique opportunity to maintain an established program that maximizes excellence and allows strong and continuous coach/team bonding.
- Directing the organization pursuant to the club’s mission and vision.
- Working with the Board of Directors for hiring, supervising and educating all assistant coaches.
- Directing staff meetings as needed.
- Attending Board of Directors meeting and providing a monthly report.
- Coach all competitive age groups. This includes, but is not limited to, developing a swim program that is technically, age, and developmentally appropriate, for both water and dryland training, which allows swimmers of different abilities to reach their highest potential.
- Determining appropriate workout group for each athlete and update group requirements/progression as needed.
- Setting workout schedules.
- Setting team meet schedule for all groups and staff scheduled meets.
- Attend swim meets.
- Lead and manage our Learn-to-Swim program, which averages 100 kids per session with 4 sessions each year.
- Lead swimmer recruitment/retention efforts.
- Being a positive role model, maintaining high ethical and moral standards, and adhering to USA Swimming’s Coach’s Code of Conduct.
- Overseeing all facility use agreements.
- Marketing the Aberdeen Swim Club and act as media liaison.
- Assisting and supporting all fundraising activities.
- Attending South Dakota LSC meetings.
- Holding periodic parent meetings to educate and inform.
- Meet all USA Swimming coaching requirements.
- Have at least 2 years of swim coaching experience and 1 year of management/administrative experience.
- Must be a US citizen or currently eligible to work in the US.
- Have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of marketing elements (including traditional and digital marketing such as Social media).
- Be able to motivate swimmers of all abilities to achieve their full potential.
- Have ability to manage and mentor coaching staff to ensure consistent implementation of team philosophy and goals.
- ASCA level 3 or above certification.
- Previous experience as head coach.
- Experience as a competitive swimmer at the collegiate level.
Salary and Application Requirements:
ASC offers a competitive salary package commensurate with experience. The package includes a base salary ($32,000-$38,000 based on experience/qualifications), profit sharing from Learn-to-Swim program, paid vacation, paid professional development, and travel expense reimbursement for meets. The potential for additional financial incentives may be available and will be negotiated when an employment contract is drafted.
Preferred start date is March 15, 2017. Applications received prior to February 1, 2017 will be given first consideration.
The ASC Board of Directors reserves the right to conduct in-depth pre-employment screening including but not limited to criminal background check, physical, drug screening, past employment and education verification, and a social media review.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, coaching philosophy statement, resume and contact information for 3 professional references by mail at the below address or by email to [email protected]
Head Coach Search Committee
Head Coach Search Committee
Aberdeen Swim Club
PO Box 1874
Aberdeen, SD 57402