Location: 220 W McKinley Ave, Decatur, IL 62526, USA
Decatur Family YMCA
Job Title: Director of Aquatics and Head Swim Team Coach
FLSA Status: Full Time Exempt
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer Revision Date: 2/4/2020
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Serves as head swim team coach and teaches the fundamentals of competitive swimming in a positive environment. As leader of the highly competitive YDSC Gators swim team, the coach will provide every member an opportunity to improve their skills be successful at his or her level of ability, from novice to elite-level competitors. Provides Develops, organizes and implements high quality YMCA aquatic program(s). Develops an annual budget for programs and work within the budget and overall YMCA financial policies in implementing programs.
- Supervises and directs program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands programs within the community, in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel, coaches and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate and retain staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings.
- Facilitate and run swim team practices with the support of assistant coaches. Design and oversee training plans for swimmers and develop methods to track swimmers’ progress throughout the season. Set goals with swimmers and monitor phases of individual swimmer development including but not limited to stroke technique, starts and turns, and interval timing.
- Be approachable, visible and communicate openly and develop strong relationships with all Y members and swim team families.
- Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices
- Perform all administrative tasks of the swim team including maintaining Team Unify, Meet Mobile and planning and organizing all swim meets.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Monitor swim lessons to ensure instructors are teaching proper technique, swimmers are progressing, progress reports are being accurately completed and communicated with parents.
- Assists with Program Committee meetings
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with
a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships
to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent.
- Five years of competitive swim coaching experience preferred.
- Certified USA Swim Coach and ASCA level 3 certification preferred.
- Minimum age requirements may apply; for example, minimum age of 21.
- Training requirements within 90 days of hire include completion of: Child Abuse Recognition & Prevention; CPR; First Aid; AED; Bloodborne Pathogens; Harassment at the Y and Y101.
- Completion of Aquatics trainer certifications including lifeguarding, CPR and First Aid.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of
Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations (depending upon the programs).
Staff Member’s Signature_______________________________________________Date_____________
This is a full-time position with full-time benefits including Medical, Dental, Retirement, and paid time off. To apply please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
DECATUR FAMILY YMCA
220 West McKinley Ave. Decatur, Il 62526
Phone 217-872-9622 Fax 217-872-4294
How to Apply
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
220 W. McKinley Ave
Decatur, IL 62526