Applications due 10/31/16
- 3-5 Years of experience in the field of coaching her/his swimming on both international and domestic levels.
- Credentials in area of coach certificate, training, teaching, sports medicine, etc.
- 3-5 Years of experience of swimming in high levels, Speedo or higher competition.
- 1-2 Years of experience in associating with deaf and hard of hearing athletes in swimming.
- Ability to communicate in sign language and/or swimming gestures.
- Certificate Completion/Document of USOC’s SafeSport policy, USOC’s SafeSport handbook and completed USADSF’s SafeSport training (when available).
||The Head Coach shall be responsible for recruiting, training, and preparing the National Men’s/Women’s Teams for potential placement on the team.
The coach shall work closely with Team Leaders and USA Deaf Swimming on the following expectations:
- To prepare the team for international competition
- To recruit athletes
- To evaluate and place athletes on the team
- To maintain expressive and be receptive in sign and/or gestures communication skills throughout the term.
||Submit to the Team Leader the following:
- Be 25 years of age or older.
- Have USA Swimming coaching certificate(s).
- Have basic first-aid, CPR, and coach’s safety training card (e.g., USOC’s Safe Sports program).
- Have current passport or already applied for one (confirmation receipt or letter).
NOTE: Passports in any case must be valid at least 6 months after the conclusion of the 2017 Deaflympics in Turkey.
- Become a member of USADSF and USA Deaf Swimming.
||All coaches must submit “application packet” to Team Leader, who will forward packet to USA Deaf Swimming Coach Selection Committee and USADSF Board for final approval.
- Copies of coaching certificate
- Copies basic first-aid and CPR card
- Copies of certificate of completion of Coach’s Safety training program (USOC)
- Copies Passport or confirmation receipt/letter
- Completed USA Team application forms
||After having the rosters finalized by the coaches, the Team Leader and USA Deaf Swimming shall recommend the rosters to USADSF Vice-President.
- November 2016 – Coach selection
- January 31, 2017 – Final team selection
- June 18, 2017 – Deadline to pull out of Deaflympics, if deemed necessary
- Pre-Games Training Camp for 23rd Summer Deaflympics – Dates and location TBD (week prior to 23rd Summer Deaflympics)
- July 18 – 30, 2017 – 23rd Summer Deaflympics
||The criteria for coaches can be found on the USADSF website as well as USA Deaf Swimming website. Information regarding the team coaching positions and also the team tryouts shall be distributed through, but not limited to e-mail, affiliated team USA Deaf Swimmings, Deaf publications, high school associations and universities.
Such information shall include a reference to the entire criteria herein.
Team Leader and USA Deaf Swimming shall select members for the committee and prepare interview instructions and questions.
Selection Committee shall consist of three (3) members, appointed by USA Deaf Swimming Board of Directors for Deaflympics games, of the following:
- A Team Leader from USADS
- A former USA Deaflympics Team member with minimum 2-3 years of experience competing on both international and domestic levels
- A representative appointed by the USA Deaf Sports Federation Board.
The Selection Committee shall review the resumes and interview each applicant. The interviews may be conducted in person, via videophone or by e-mail. Additional letters of reference may be asked, if necessary.
The Selection Committee shall forward interview results to the Team Leader.
The Team Leader and USA Deaf Swimming shall recommend the name of the nominated Head Coach to USADSF Board for approval.
How to Apply
Email [email protected] (Douglas S. Matchett- team leader) the following: a letter of interest, resume, one letter of reference, criminal background check with National Center for Safety Initiatives (see above for link)
Douglas S. Matchett