Applications due 01/31/23
Date posted: January 22, 2023
Location: 2 Thep Krasattri Road, Ratsada, Mueang Phuket District, Phuket, Thailand
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: To lead, manage, develop, and be accountable for the High Performance Swim Team (aged 13-18) within the Sea Eagles Academy; and with a particular focus on swimming, support sporting provision at BISP.
The High Performance Swimming Team operates within the Sea Eagles Aquatics program of British International School, Phuket, Thailand and provides an opportunity to be a part of one of the leading swim programs in South East Asia. The program has developed a pathway from Learn to Swim through to a High Performance Swim Team, where many swimmers are now representing their respective countries internationally at both Age Group and Open levels.
The High Performance Swimming Coach is expected to endorse and support the vision of the aquatics program to provide aquatic competency and skills for life, from grass-roots to elite level, and everything in between.
To fulfill this role successfully will require considerable commitment including working early mornings, Saturdays and some weekend trips.
1. Develop and sustain a highly purposeful and productive culture within our High Performance Swim Team, where students experience world-class opportunities with training and support to enable them to achieve the highest possible standards of performance and holistic development. This will include:
- Organising and leading training
- Advising and supporting HP athletes on dietary and other aspects to maintain their physical and mental wellbeing
- Supporting and advising HP athletes who are recovering from injury or illness.
- Coordinate and support appropriate individual competition schedules for all HP Athletes
- In conjunction with the Aquatics Director
- Organise and attend swim meets held at BISP
- Assist with swimming teams attending meets or competitions, this will include overnight and weekend supervision of athletes as well as assisting at the actual meets.
- Participate in and where appropriate provide professional development for Sea Eagles coaches.
- Maintain links to other High Performance Swim Academies, national and international swimming organisation, and equipment suppliers
- Actively work to support the recruitment of athletes to the High Performance Swim Team including scholarship opportunities
- As a coach within the Swimming programme, the High Performance coach ill be expected to be part of the coaching team for:
- Age Group Development squad
- Junior, Fitness and Masters Squads
- PE curriculum swimming
- Swimming camps during school holidays
- Strength and conditioning
Responsibility To Athletes
- Liaise with Aquatics Director and Athletics Director regarding the recruitment and admission of new students who have a strong profile in Swimming.
- Monitor, support and encourage student athletes, in conjunction with academic staff and heads of School, to help them achieve the best academically as well as in sports.
- In collaboration with the University counselling team, provide advice and guidance regarding opportunities to follow ‘development pathways’ (eg through sports scholarship; or professional sporting opportunities).
- Safeguard student interests through positive relational practices, and by expecting the highest standards of motivation and professional practice/behaviour (from staff and students).
Qualifications and Professional Development
- The High Performance Swim Coach will ideally:
- Hold ASCA Level 3 / Swim Australia TOCS or equivalent
- Hold or be working towards ASCTA Gold or equivalent
- Have a minimum of 6 years experience with Age Group squads (ages 13-19), and proven coaching ability at National Championship, regional and international levels
- Hold a Bachelors or Undergraduate Degree
- Have a high standard of spoken and written English
- Hold and maintain First Aid, CPR and Life Guard qualifications
How to Apply