After stacked fields of internationals flocked to the first two Pro Swim Series stops, the Mesa Pro Swim Series looks like a much more domestic affair, with mostly American athletes heading the psych sheets.
USA Swimming posted the psych sheets on its website this week:
Full Mesa PSS Psych Sheet here
The Mesa stop reverts to the new PSS event schedule, including the 50 stroke shootouts and the mystery 200 IM on Saturday with the 1500 freestyles pushed to Sunday morning. The SwimSquad Mixed Medley Relay event will be on Thursday night, and the schedule will also offer a men’s 800 free (Friday night) and a women’s 1500 free (Sunday morning).
The stroke 50 shootouts are three-round, one-on-one races of the top 8 qualifiers from the morning heats. The mystery 200 IM takes the top 8 finishers in the regular 200 IM and has them draw lanes at random, with each lane requiring a different order of the four strokes. The mixed medley relay pits teams of two men and two women from each of the four SwimSquads against each other for bragging rights.
Appearing on the entry sheet isn’t a guarantee for competition, of course, but several big names appear set to make returns to competition after extended absences.
Allison Schmitt hasn’t logged an official swim since the Rio Olympics, but is entered in two events in Mesa. Conor Dwyer hasn’t logged a swim since last August, though he has already entered, then scratched, both Pro Swim Series events so far this year. Cullen Jones hasn’t competed since November and is entered in Mesa. Leah Smith also hasn’t raced since November. She, like Dwyer, has been a scratch at both PSS meets so far, but with her training base set in Tucson with the University of Arizona’s pro group, Mesa seems like a natural debut meet for her, and she’s listed among USA Swimming’s big names. Cierra Runge hasn’t competed since Summer Nationals last July, but she, too, is based out of Arizona with Arizona State’s training crew, and is entered in Mesa.
The Mesa psych sheets are loaded with notable names, but here are a few of the more notable (or sometimes unusual) event entries. Note: this list is not exhaustive, and we will continue to update it as we dig through psych sheets.
- Allison Schmitt: 100 free, 200 free
- Chase Kalisz: 400 IM, 200 breast, 200 fly, 200 IM
- Josh Prenot: 400 IM, 100 breast, 200 breast, 200 IM, 50 fly
- Michael Andrew: 100 fly, 200 breast, 100 back, 100 breast, 50 fly, 50 back, 50 free
- Tom Shields: 100 fly, 200 fly, 50 fly, 100 free, 200 free, 400 free
- Kelsi Dahlia (Worrell): 100 fly, 200 fly, 200 free, 100 free, 50 fly, 50 free
- Olivia Smoliga: 200 back, 100 back, 100 free, 50 back, 50 free
- Melanie Margalis: 100 fly, 200 free, 100 back, 200 IM, 50 breast
- Abbey Weitzeil: 50 free, 100 free, 50 fly, 100 fly
- Lia Neal: 50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 50 fly, 100 fly
- Mallory Comerford: 50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 50 fly, 100 fly
- Cierra Runge: 200 free, 400 free, 800 free
- Conor Dwyer: 100 free, 200 free, 200 IM
- Leah Smith: 200 free, 800 free, 200 fly, 100 free, 200 IM, 400 free