Reported by Lauren Neidigh.
WOMEN’S 200 FREE
- NCAA record: Missy Franklin (2015)- 1:39.10
- American record: Missy Franklin (2015)- 1:39.10
- U.S. Open record: Missy Franklin (2015)- 1:39.10
- Championship Record: Missy Franklin (2015)- 1:39.10
- 2016 NCAA Champion: Brittany MacLean (Georgia)- 1:42.42
- (*T-1*) Mallory Comerford (Louisville)- 1:40.36
- (*T-1*) Katie Ledecky (Stanford)- 1:40.36
- Simone Manuel (Stanford)- 1:40.70
While swimming fans expected a Ledeckian back-half surge out of lane 5, it was Louisville’s Mallory Comerford who really tore it up on the back half, running down Katie Ledecky to tie her for the title in 1:40.36. Stanford’s Simone Manuel tore through the front half to take the early lead, but wound up 3rd by less than 4 tenths.
Lost in the madness was a huge swim from Michigan’s Siobhan Haughey, who put up a 1:41.26 to place 4th ahead of Virginia distance standout Leah Smith (1:42.66). Wolverine teammate Gabby DeLoof touched in a personal best 1:43.11to take 6th.
Winning the B final was Cal’s Katie McLaughlin (1:43.17), who ran down Stanford’s Lia Neal (1:43.19) on the final 50.