Chinese Olympic gold medalist Sun Yang won the 400 meter freestyle on the first day of the 2017 Chinese Student Games at the Shanghai Maritime University Swimming Center. Yang won the timed final event in 3:46.54 and was the only swimmer to break 4:00.
Yang is the defending Olympic gold medalist from the 2016 in the 200 meter freestyle, an event which he won in 1:44.65. He was touched out by Australia’s Mack Horton in the 400. Horton and Yang went 3:41.55 and 3:41.68 in Rio, respectively.
Yang’s best times in the 200, 400, 800 and 1500 freestyles came between 2011-2013, prior to his 2014 doping suspension for the banned substance trimetazidine.
At the Chinese National Championships 2 weeks ago, Sun won the 400 free in 3:42.16. He matched that result with victories in the 100 free (49.27), 200 free (1:44.91), and 1500 free (15:04.15). He swam the fastest time of the meet in the 800 free, but scratched the final.
Other notable swims from the first day of the Chinese Student Games:
- Zhao Xianjian won the 50 free in 22.81
- Shen Duo won the women’s 100 free in 56.78
- Wang Shun won the men’s 200 IM by 5.8 seconds in 2:00.66
- Yu Hexin won the men’s 100 free in 51.11
- Yan Zibei won the men’s 100 breast in 1:00.80; Mao Feilian, a 200 meter specialist, took 2nd in 1:02.94