With the conclusion of the Spanish Open Championship earlier this month, the Spanish swimming federation has announced the nation’s roster for the 2018 European Championships in Glasgow. National record holders Mireia Belmonte, Jessica Val and Hugo Gonzalez headline the roster composed of swimmers having notched qualifying times at the Open, with those selection marks proving much faster than those of the 2016 Euros.
Belmonte will be taking on the largest number of events in Glasgow, having achieved QT’s in the 400m/800m/1500m freestyles, as well as both the 200m IM and 400m IM. She was also given the opportunity compete in the 200m butterfly by the Technical Director. Vall will appear in the 200m breast based on achieving qualifying time, but was also discretionarily given the opportunity to race the 100m breast, while Gonzalez will be competing in just the 200m IM. Additional swimmers having notched qualifying times include Jimena Perez, Marina Garcia, and Joan Pons.
Africa Zamorano has been added to the roster by the Technical Director under criteria 1.2.1 of the procedures, citing her having achieved at least one of the two minimum marks indicating her ‘progression and personal improvement.’ Francisco Arevalo, Cristina Garcia and Albert Escrits were also included on the roster discrectionarily.
RFEN also announced that 3 relays will be fielded for Spain in Glasgow as follows:
- Women’s 4×200 freestyle: Melanie COSTA (CN Terrassa), Lidón MUÑOZ (CN Sant Andreu), Africa ZAMORANO (CN Sant Andreu), Esther MORILLO (CE Mediterrani)
- Women’s 4×100 medley: Duane DA ROCHA MARCE (CN Mijas), Jessica VALL MONTERO (CN Sant Andreu), Judit IGNACIO SORRIBES (CN Sabadell), Lidón MUÑOZ DEL CAMPO (CN Sant Andreu)
- Men’s 4×200 freestyle: Francisco J. ARÉVALO RUBIO (Real Canoe NC), Marc SÁNCHEZ TORRENS (CN Sabadell), Miguel DURAN NAVIA (UCAM Fuensanta), Alex RAMOS FERNANDEZ (CN Sant Andreu)
Below is Spain’s line-up for individual events for Glasgow:
- Mireia BELMONTE GARCIA (UCAM Fuensanta): 400m free, 800m free, 1500m free, 200m fly, 200m IM, 400m IM
- Jessica VALL MONTERO (CN Sant Andreu): 100m & 200m breast
- Jimena PEREZ BLANCO (CD Gredos San Diego): 1500m free
- Marina GARCIA URZAINQUI (CN Sabadell): 200m breast
- Hugo GONZALEZ DE OLIVEIRA (Real Canoe NC): 200m IM
- Joan Ll. PONS RAMON (CN Palma de Mallorca): 400m IM
- Africa ZAMORANO SANZ (CN Sant Andreu): 200m back
- Francisco J. AREVALO RUBIO (Real Canoe NC): 400m free
- Cristina GARCIA KIRICHENKO (CN Lleida): 200m back
- Albert ESCRITS MAÑOSA (CN Sant Andreu): 800m free
- Lidón MUÑOZ DEL CAMPO: 50m & 100m free
At the 2016 edition of the European Championships, Spain finished 13th in the overall medal table, unable to bring home a gold. They did capture 3 silvers and 3 bronze medals, including silvers from Belmonte in the 1500m freestyle and Vall in the 200m breast.