Brandon Loschiavo, a Purdue diver, will be taking an Olympic redshirt this season. Loschiavo is a platform diver primarily, having won the 2019 USA National title in both individual and synchro this past Summer. He went on to 8th at Worlds in individual platform diving, and 6th in synchro. His synchro partner this year was David Dinsmore, who attends the University of Miami, but Loschiavo also won 2 national titles in years past with fellow Boilermaker Steele Johnson as his partner.
Loschiavo and Johnson had a good run internationally as partners in 2017 and 2018. In 2017, the pair finished 6th at Worlds. In 2018, they finished 3rd at the Montreal stop of the FINA Diving World Series, and 5th at the China stop of the FINA Diving World Cup.
Loschiavo qualified for NCAAs in platform in each of his first 3 collegiate seasons. As a freshman, he finished 4th, 9th as a sophomore, and was 18th in prelims as a junior. He was also the Big Ten champion in platform diving this past season.
Loschiavo is the latest in a growing list of redshirts. Here’s the running list of Olympic redshirts, gap years and deferrals we’ve reported so far:
- Taylor Ruck, Stanford (Canada)
- Olivia Carter, Georgia (USA)
- Ida Hulkko, Florida State (Finland)
- Faith Knelson, Arizona (Canada)
- Mackenzie Padington, Minnesota (Canada)
- Sarah Bacon, Minnesota (USA)
- Kristen Hayden, Minnesota (USA)
- Dean Farris, Harvard (USA)
- Javier Acevedo, Georgia (Canada)
- Giovanni Izzo, NC State (Italy)
- Jarod Arroyo, Arizona State (Puerto Rico)
- Ruslan Gaziev, Ohio State (Canada)
- Mario Koenigsperger, USC (New Zealand)
- Grant House, Arizona State (USA)
- Michael Brinegar, Indiana (USA)
- Andrew Capobianco, Indiana (USA)
- Brandon Loschiavo, Purdue (USA)