The men’s Pac-12 Swimming & Diving Championships psych sheets have been released, and though there’s still plenty of scratching left to be done before the meet begins Wednesday night, we’ve got up to three match-ups slated between Cal star Ryan Murphy and his Stanford counterpart Dave Nolan.
Nolan is entered in the 200 IM and both backstrokes, so his lineup is all but set, unless he scratches one to swim all 5 relays for the Cardinal. Murphy, on the other hand, left his options open by entering 6 different races. He’ll have to scratch down to just 3, but can check out the psych sheets to see where he’s most needed.
Murphy seems a very good bet to swim the 100 and 200 backs, where he should tangle with Nolan, who, like Murphy, was a former high school standout and subsequent NCAA champion.
Murphy’s other options include the 200 IM (which he swam at NCAAs last year), the 100 fly, the 50 free and the 100 free. The IM or 50 freestyle would make the most sense, given they’d keep him from doubling up on any one day of the meet.
Cal’s versatile Josh Prenot also has some options, entering the 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 breast and 200 fly. It’s probably a decision between the 200 breast and 200 fly on day 3. The intrigue there might come down to how Arizona’s breaststroke star Kevin Cordes fares earlier in the meet. Cordes, the American record-holder in both breaststrokes, hasn’t wowed this season like he usually does, and if Cordes looks human enough the first two days, Prenot could have a shot to nip him for the title.
USC’s Cristian Quintero will swim the 100, 200 and 500 frees for USC. Quintero’s eligibility this season was a never-ending roller-coaster. The NCAA 500 free champ was set to run out of eligibility after last season, per the USC Athletic Department, but was then granted one more year of eligibility. But Quintero was then mysteriously absent all of the fall semester before returning in early 2015. He looks set to make his final Pac-12 appearance this weekend.
Full psych sheets are here. Below, we’ve pulled out event schedules for a few of the biggest names:
- Ryan Murphy, Cal: 200 IM, 50 free, 100 fly, 100 back, 200 back, 100 free
- David Nolan, Stanford: 200 IM, 100 back, 200 back
- Josh Prenot, Cal: 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 breast, 200 fly
- Kevin Cordes, Arizona: 50 free, 100 breast, 200 breast
- Cristian Quintero, USC: 500 free, 200 free, 100 free
- Brad Tandy, Arizona: 50 free, 100 breast, 100 free
- Nick Soedel, Utah: 50 free, 100 free, 200 free
- Tyler Messerschmidt, Cal: 50 free, 100 fly, 200 free, 100 back, 100 free
- Seth Stubblefield, Cal: 50 free, 100 fly, 200 free, 100 free
- Dylan Carter, USC: 50 free, 100 fly, 200 free, 100 free
- Michael Meyer, Arizona: 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 fly