2019 Wyoming Boys 4A State Swimming and Diving Championships
With its 23rd-straight state title line, the boys from Lander Valley High School were able to pull out the win, but by a much closer margin than in 2018. Last year, the team racked up 324 points, with Lyman taking second with 197. This year, the team results were much closer. Take a look:
Top-5 final team scores: Wyoming Boys’ 3A State Championships
- Lander Valley High School – 286
- Rawlins High School – 241 (nearly doubled from 2018)
- Sublette County High School – 148
- Powell High School – 137
- Lyman High School – 126
Lander kicked off the meet by winning the 200 medley relay by nearly 11 seconds. The team of Jonny Kulow, Caleb Huelskamp, Ryan Brinda, and Nick Kulow combined for a 1:34.45. Rawlins took second place in 1:45.03.
Lander junior Nick Kulow turned around to win the 200 free in 1:44.25, over eight seconds ahead of Rawlins sophomore Dalton Coleman in 1:52.64. Sublette senior Marcus Mahaffey took this in 1:54.29. Kulow also won the 500 by almost 15 seconds, finishing in 5:00.45; behind him was Sublette’s Jackson Fouras in 5:15.27 and Lyman’s Carson Walker in 5:26.23.
Jonny Kulow, in turn, won the 200 IM by 11 seconds. The Lander freshman finished in 1:56.2 with Powell’s Richard Spann finishing second in 2:07.15. Rawlins senior Braxton Langenderfer touched third in 2:11.64. Jonny also won the 100 free by over three seconds, going 46.82. Behind him was Zayne Cooper in 50.17, and in third, Nolan McFadden in 50.44 – no one else was under :51.
The closest race of the day was the 100 back: Spann won in 55.54, Lander’s Ryan Brinda took second in 55.58, and Nolan McFadden third in 55.73.
Caleb Huelskamp, after winning the 50 free earlier in the day, won the 100 breast by seven seconds. The Lander senior touch in 56.48, followed by Sublette freshman Jackson Fouras in 1:03.56. Fouras just beat out Rawlins sophomore Dalton Coleman, who went 1:03.91.
Lander closed out the meet with a commanding win in the 400 free relay. The same relay team as the 200 free relay – Jonny Kulow, Ryan Brinda, Nick Kulow, and Caleb Huelskamp went 3:09.42, over 20 seconds ahead of the competition. Sublette’s team was second in 3:29.99.
- Caleb Huelskamp was the only swimmer under :22 in the 50 free, winning in 21.43. Zayne Cooper, who also took third in the 100, was the 50 runner-up in 22.35.
- Lyman junior Ryan Brinda won the 100 fly in 53.50m the only swim under :54. His senior teammate Carson Walker was second in 54.38.
- The 200 freestyle relay was much closer than the medley, with the Rawlins team of Isaac Nitschke, Braxton Langenderfer, Jesse Mendoza, and Eric Engstrom combining for a 1:34.11. Lander took second in 1:34.84.