2021 Futures Championships — Santa Clarita
- July 28-31, 2021
- Santa Clarita Aquatic Center, CA
- Hosted by Canyons Aquatic Club
- Meet Packet
- Live Stream
- Psych Sheet
The 2021 Futures Championships are underway across four U.S. stops, including at Santa Clarita. Among the top names to keep an eye on in Santa Clarita include Wave II Trials finalist 17-year-old Justina Kozan, 13-year-old NAG holder Kayla Han, and versatile 18-year-old Gabriel Jett of Clovis Swim Club.
Kozan is slated to swim in five events this weekend, where she is the top seed in all of her entries. Kozan’s most notable entry is in the 400 IM, where she is entered with her intimidating 4:40.57, which qualified her 5th into the Wave II Olympic Trials final. Kozan will also swim the 200 free (1:58.10), 100 fly (59.59), 200 IM (2:11.55), and 50 free (25.98).
For La Mirada Armada’s Han, her lone top-seeded event comes in the 800 free with her lifetime best entry of 8:50.58. Han will also compete in the 400 IM alongside Kozan. At the Wave I Olympic Trials meet, Han won the consolation final at 4:51.08. Han enters this meet with a lifetime best of 4:50.70, her 11-12 NAG record set in May. Could she drop even more time racing against Kozan in the long IM? Along with both the 800 free and 400 IM, Han will swim the 200 IM (2:18.91, No. 4) and 200 free (2:03.88, No. 5).
On the men’s side, 18-year-old Jett of Clovis Swim Club is entered to swim in nine events, where he is seeded no lower than fourth. Overall, he has five top seeds, one No. 2 seed, two No. 3 seeds, and a No. 4 seed in the 100 free. The versatile Jett swam five events at the Wave II Trials meet, with his highest placements coming from the 200 free (1:48.85, 20th) and 200 back (2:01.46, 22nd).
Jett’s Santa Clarita Events
- 200 free- 1:48.84, No. 1
- 200 back- 2:01.46, No. 1
- 200 fly- 1:57.82, No. 1
- 100 free- 51.13, No. 4
- 100 back- 56.92, No. 3
- 400 free- 3:55.36, No. 1
- 100 fly- 54.59, No. 2
- 200 IM- 2:06.35, No. 3
- 800 free- 8:09.85, No. 1
More Top Names to Watch:
- Wave I qualifier Ben Forbes is the No. 2 seed behind Clovis teammate Jett in both the 400 free (3:56.69) and 200 free (1:51.11).
- The top seed in the men’s 100 fly is King Aquatic 17-year-old Patrick Keough, who is entered at 53.82, which placed him 7th at Wave I Olympic Trials.
- DART 18-year-old Zachary Tan has top seeds in two events, the 200 IM (2:04.45) and 400 IM (4:26.02). Like Jett, also will swim 9 events in Santa Clarita.
- Crow Canyon 15-year-old Bailey Hartman has four No. 2 seeds on the women’s psych sheet: 100 fly (59.67), 200 free (2:01.00), 100 free (56.84), and 400 free (4:20.50). At the Wave I Trials meet, Hartman placed 12th in finals in the 100 fly at 1:00.61.
- Wave II qualifier Kevin Houseman of Bainbridge Island will swim the 100 breast here in Santa Clarita with his seed time of 1:00.45. At Wave II Trials, Houseman placed 32nd in prelims at 1:02.01.