Reported by Lauren Neidigh.
MEN’S 400 IM
- American Record: 4:03.84, Michael Phelps, 2008
- U.S. Open Record: 4:05.25, Michael Phelps, 2008
- U.S. Open Meet: 4:11.11, Sebastien Rousseau, 2013
- GOLD: Jonathan Roberts, NTN, 4:14.93
- SILVER: Charlie Swanson, UN-1, 4:15.99
- BRONZE: Kieran Smith, RAC, 4:18.81
Texas’ Jonathan Roberts used his strong backstroke leg to take control early on in the race, flipping at 2:02.16 though the first 200 meters to lead the field by over 2.5 seconds. Michigan’s Charlie Swanson was 4 seconds back at that point, but he made up significant ground on the breaststroke split to pull himself within a second of Roberts. He wasn’t able to run Roberts down on the freestyle leg, though, as Roberts held on to his lead with a winning time of 4:14.93 to Swanson’s 4:15.99.
Earlier in the season, Roberts knocked almost 7 seconds off his best time in this race, bringing it down from a 4:22.32 to a 4:15.50 at U.S. Nationals. He’s got great momentum in this race and has now lowered his best time by 7.5 seconds in 2017.