Location: William Jewell College, College Hill, Liberty, MO, USA
The Swim Coach is responsible for the management and administration of all activities related to his/her sport and exercises direct supervision of recruiting, training, and coaching student-athletes participating in the sports. The Head Swim Coach is fully responsible for compliance with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regulations as well as Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) rules and all College policies and procedures. The Head Swim Coach may also be responsible for advising students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the recruitment of prospective student-athletes in coordination with the Offices of Admission and Financial Aid and manage the sport scholarship budget
- Develop and manage the sport operations budget including equipment, travel, meals, uniforms, supplies, etc. Follow college policy of receiving advanced approval for all purchases over $500, any hotel or flight in accordance with the Expense Authorization policy of the College.
- Comply with all administrative staff on reports and forms that need to be completed.
- Seek and receive approval prior to season schedule being finalized with non-conference teams.
- Conduct the sport program in strict accordance with NCAA and GLVC rules and regulations. Actively participate in GLVC coaches conference meetings where applicable and be available for all GLVC coaches’ conference calls.
- Recruit and supervise coaching staff
- Organize and administer practice sessions and off-season conditioning program
- Conduct and organize swim lessons and participate in community service and fund raising activities
- Develop relationships with alumni and other friends and supporters of the College and work cooperatively with Advancement as a member of the Athletics staff and the College community
- Monitor the travel roster online to assure that it is completed prior to travel.
- Oversee the pool as Director of Aquatics working in conjunction with facilities management in maintaining the pool and ensuring it is properly maintained in compliance with the Clay County Health Department. Create the pool schedule and coordinate this with the Sports Information Director to keep calendar updated. Schedule all lifeguards and organize lifeguard certification classes. Communicate all pool closures with swim clubs and administrative staff.
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Progressive experience as a coach in the sport; head coach and collegiate experience preferred
- Master’s degree in physical education or related field is preferred with a demonstrated commitment to excellence in academic programs
- Familiarity with appropriate athletic governing organization rules and regulations (NCAA, GLVC)
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- An understanding of the unique opportunities and challenges in the environment of private higher education
Normal office environment as well as indoor and outdoor athletics facilities. Some travel required. Evening and weekend work required. Physically able to lift 25 pounds and attend practice and competitive sessions indoors and outdoors
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
How to Apply
Candidates must submit the following documents via email to [email protected]:
- Letter of application
- William Jewell College application
- Salary Requirements
Please note: Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make such accommodation request in advance to the Office of Human Resources:
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 64068 (816) 415-6904