Location: Evanston, IL, USA
******THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED***********
The Director of Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving is responsible for managing both the Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving programs. This position oversees all Swimming and Diving Coaches working with both programs, and is responsible for overseeing coaching, recruiting, scheduling, student-athlete development, travel coordination, fundraising, budget formulation, analysis and management, equipment purchases, public and community relations, parental relations, and health and safety of student athletes.
Full-time appointment, renewable on a contract basis.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Full responsibility for coaching and training the Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Teams; for developing and conducting all in-season and out-of-season practice plans throughout the year as deemed necessary and appropriate.
- Has responsibility for psychological preparation of teams in both pre and post-competition and for developing motivational approach to practices and competitions.
- Organize teaching procedures for appropriate staff. Conduct team meetings and assignments as necessary. Engage and utilize support staff when necessary and applicable.
- Continue to develop comprehensive knowledge in decision-making, delegating authority, and in setting objectives.
- Responsible for the national recruitment of top student-athletes for the Northwestern’s Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Team, commensurate with the admissions qualifications of Northwestern University who are capable of successfully competing at the NCAA level.
- Work closely with the designated Sport Administrator to develop recruiting strategies and a pool of admissible prospects.
- Maintain good relations with parents of current and prospective student-athletes.
- Manage and direct extensive on-campus recruiting program.
- Develop a nationally recognized competition schedule in conjunction with the designated Sport Administrator.
- Responsible for search and selection of qualified assistant coaching staff with approval of designated Sport Administrator and actively support and comply with the University’s Affirmative Action program.
- Direct and manage staff of assistant coaches. Delegate and prioritize administrative responsibilities to assistants.
- Conduct annual staff evaluations.
- Responsible for presenting to the Deputy Director of Athletics and Associate Athletic Director for Business a projected annual budget in the areas of responsibility for approval. Accountable for expense control compliance and administration of annual budget. Implement Department operational procedures and policies.
- Responsible for supervising team and individual travel arrangements for recruiting visits, competitions and off-campus practice, and for the conduct and appearance of the team when traveling as representatives of Northwestern University.
- Demonstrate interest in academic progress of student-athletes. Work closely with Academic Services in solving and preventing academic problems.
- Cooperate with team physicians and the Sports Medicine staff regarding health care and decisions of practice and participation of student-athletes.
Alumni Relations, Public Relations, and Development
- Responsible for the maintenance of sound alumni relations. In cooperation with the appropriate Associate Director, also responsible for promoting and participating in various alumni events.
- Assist Athletic Development staff in fundraising efforts on behalf of the swimming program and department as requested.
- Responsible for maintaining good public relations with the public news media, and working with Athletic Communications department in promoting Northwestern University. Maintain amicable public relations with faculty, staff, students and media of the University, friends, alumni support groups and secondary school/club coaches.
- Report to the designated Sport Administrator and faithfully and diligently carry out other Department-related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports in the Intercollegiate and Recreational programs.
- Responsible for adhering to all Department and University policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.
- Other duties as assigned.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
How to Apply
For consideration, please visit www.northwestern.edu/hr/careers. You will be directed to Northwestern University’s electronic recruiting system, myHR, where you will search and apply for current openings. To apply for this position in myHR, search for job opening ID 33423 in the Keywords field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your application. If there is interest in your candidacy, a member of the talent acquisition team or the department hiring manager will contact you.