Applications due 05/31/19
Location: 1 Y Drive, Grand Haven, MI, USA
Develops, organizes and implements high quality, member-focused YMCA aquatic programs.
All program directors are expected to perform the following activities. Duties specific to the program
area follow and other duties may be assigned as needed.
1. Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA
objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in
accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships
with community organizations.
2. Promotes and incorporates the YMCA four core values and character development model into all
3. Organizes and schedules program registrations.
4. Complies program statistics.
5. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
6. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other community organizations.
7. Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
8. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with
the organization’s strategic plan.
9. Assists in fundraising activities and special events.
10. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed.
Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
11. Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety
12. Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities.
Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
13. Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings.
14. Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices
15. Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
16. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to
all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
TRI-CITIES FAMILY YMCA •1 Y Drive • Grand Haven, MI 49417 • 616-842-7051 • fax: 616-842-5323 • www.tcfymca.org
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a
commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and
recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create
small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and
dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff
with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts
prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages
best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds
staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an
awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive
issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical
knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-todate knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. One to two years related to experience preferred; for example, as an aquatics coordinator
3. Requirements to be completed within 30 days of hire include: completion of: Child Abuse
Prevention for Supervisory Staff, working with program volunteers, CPR, First Aid, AED,
4. Excellent personal computer skills and experience with standard business software.
5. Must have good interpersonal, public relations and communications skills, including the
ability to make presentations and handle media inquiries.
Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise
How to Apply
Please send your resume and letter of interest to [email protected]
1 Y Drive, Grand Haven, MI 49417