2021 YMCA SPRING FESTIVAL – OXFORD
- Wednesday, March 31 – Saturday, April 3, 2021
- Miami University, Oxford, OH
- Hosted by Powel Crosley Jr YMCA
- SCY (25y)
- Championship Format
- Festival Info
- Event Page
- Meet Packet
- Complete Prelims Heat Sheets
- Night 1 Recap
- Night 2 Recap
- Night 3 Recap
- Results on Meet Mobile as “2021 OH AP YMCA Swimming Festival Miami Site”
The fourth and final night of the 2021 YMCA Spring Festival in Oxford, Ohio is now in the books, with host team Powel Crosley Jr YMCA (PCY) sweeping the final combined, men’s, and women’s team scores. Team runner-ups included the combined Springfield Family YMCA team, the Blue Ash YMCA men’s team, and the South YMCA women’s team. The timed finals of the 1650 free started the evening off, followed by the finals of the 100 free, 200 back, 200 breast, and the 400 free relay timed finals.
Night 4 Individual Highlights
The evening began with the fastest-seeded 1650 free heats, where 16-year-old Rachel Bostian won the women’s side at 17:27.40. Rounding out the top three milers for the women were PCY 18-year-old Molly Pressler (17:52.48) and 15-year-old Bangor Barracuda Allison Clabes (21:21.44).
Meanwhile for the men, M.E. Lyons 18-year-old Alex Craft won the 1650 free after shaving 13 seconds of his seed time, winning the mile at 15:37.84. PCY 17-year-old Adam Lamping (15:51.51) and Blue Ash 17-year-old Erik Menchhofer (15:56.34) both swam under 16 minutes to round out the top 3 men’s milers.
Taking her fourth win of the meet with a sub-50 winning time in the women’s 100 free was 15-year-old Amy Pan of Farmington Family YMCA. Pan won the event at 49.97, holding off Northwest Louisiana teammates 18-year-old Sarah Holt (51.09) and 17-year-old Brooke Fegley (51.65). Pan is now the 13th-fastest 15&U swimmer in the US this season with that swim. Along with the 100 free tonight, Pan also won titles in the 50 free (23.05), 200 free (1:49.60), and 100 back (55.08).
18-year-olds Conner McBeth of Lawrence County and Luke Paxton of PCY went head-to-head in the men’s 100 free final, with only five one-hundredths separating the pair at the finish. After winning the 50 free on day one, is was McBeth who had the narrow advantage to sweep the sprint free events over Paxton 44.56 to 44.61.
Placing third behind the high school upperclassmen and breaking 46 seconds was SPY 14-year-old Jarrett Payne, hitting the wall at 45.48. Payne is now the 4th-fastest 14&U swimmer in the US this 2020-2021 season. Later on, Payne would lead off SPY’s winning 4×100 free relay in a 45.32, dropping 0.16s from his individual final swim. Payne’s new lifetime best now moves him up to No. 10 all-time in 13-14 age group history. Payne is now the fourth 13-14 swimmer to enter the all-time top-10 age group times this season.
ALL TIME TOP 10 AGE GROUP TIMES – MEN’S 100 FR SCY – 13-14
- Michael Andrew, 43.90 — 2014
- Daniel Diehl, 44.00 — 2020
- Kaii Winkler, 44.79 — 2021
- Ryan Hoffer, 44.81 — 2013
- Daniel Krueger, 44.83 — 2014
- Jack Dolan, 45.16 — 2015
- Thomas Heilman, 45.19 — 2020
- Ed Kim, 45.21 — 2010
- Andrei Minakov (RUS), 45.28 — 2016
- Jarrett Payne, 45.32 — 2021**
Flipping over to the women’s 200 back, PCY picked up yet another event win thanks to 16-year-old Lauren Clippard, who won the event in a sub-2:00 swim of 1:59.97. Finishing less than a second behind Clippard was Lancaster 17-year-old Mia Hensley (2:00.77) while PCY 17-year-old Kelsey McMenemy finished third at 2:02.52.
After winning the 100 back on Friday, 17-year-old Birmingham Blue Dolphin Drew Collins went on to win the men’s 200 back at 1:47.98, which is among the top-80 times among 17&U swimmers in the nation this season. His 17-year-old teammate Christian Bouchillon gave Birmingham a 1-2 finish with his runner-up effort of 1:50.97, holding off Great Miami Valley 18-year-old Tyler Schehr (1:51.38).
During Friday’s women’s 100 breast final, 18-year-old Claire Gass (Auglaize-Mercer County) touched out 17-year-old Kathy Zhao (Blue Ash) by 0.08s for the event win. On Saturday, it was Zhao who touched out Gass in the 200 breast event by four-tenths of a second 2:22.28 to 2:22.69. Placing third was 18-year-old Emma Dickhudt at 2:26.13.
Winning his second breaststroke event for the Birmingham men was 15-year-old Ethan Schwab, winning the 200 breast at 2:01.56. During prelims, Schwab put up an AM effort of 2:01.05, the 4th-fastest swim by a 15&U swimmer this season. His time is also makes him one of the fastest 15-year-olds to swim the 200-yard breast in history.
Rounding out the top three of the final individual event of the meet was 17-year-old Nick Gockerman (2:05.01), touching out SPY 17-year-old Christian Narcelles (2:05.15) by 0.14s.
Night 4 Relays
Women 400 Free Relay
- Northwest Louisiana (3:31.21) — S. Holt (51.36), L. England (54.95), E. Zhang (52.57), B. Fegley (52.33)
- Powel Crosley Jr (3:34.70) — L. Clippard (52.61), M. Hagenaur (54.06), K. McMenemy (55.01), M. Pressler (53.02)
- Springfield Family (3:35.00) — S. Jones (54.63), R. Turner (52.29), A. Richters (54.81), K. Price (53.27)
Men 400 Free Relay
- Springfield Family (3:04.73) — J. Payne (45.32), J. Humphrey (46.24), E. Blazer (46.51), C. Narcelles (46.66)
- Blue Ash YMCA (3:05.88) — E. Menchhofer (46.12), B. Menchhofer (46.61), G. Yin (46.48), D. Held (46.67)
- Powel Crosley Jr (3:07.06) — L. Paxton (44.90), A. Lamping (47.41), J. Valentine (47.93), M. Bencurik (46.82)
Final Team Scores
Top 5 Combined Teams
- Powel Crosley Jr YMCA, 909.5
- Springfield Family YMCA, 693.5
- Blue Ash YMCA, 684.5
- YMCA of Northwest Louisiana, 582
- Lancaster YMCA, 466.5
Top 5 Men’s Teams
- Powel Crosley Jr YMCA, 478
- Blue Ash YMCA, 438.5
- Springfield Family YMCA, 396
- Birmingham YMCA, 388
- Lancaster YMCA, 243.5
Top 5 Women’s Teams
- Powel Crosley Jr YMCA, 431.5
- South YMCA, 399
- YMCA of Northwest Louisiana, 383
- Springfield Family YMCA, 297.5
- Blue Ash YMCA, 246