Reported by James Sutherland.
MEN’S 200 FREE FINALS
- American Record: 1:42.96, Michael Phelps, 2008
- U.S. Open Record: 1:44.10, Michael Phelps, 2008
- LC National Meet Record: 1:44.10, Michael Phelps, 2008
- FINA ‘A’ Standard: 1:47.73
- Townley Haas, NOVA, 1:45.03
- Blake Pieroni, IU, 1:46.30
- Zane Grothe, BAD, 1:46.39
- Conor Dwyer, TROJ, 1:47.25
- Clark Smith, TXLA, 1:47.29
- Caeleb Dressel, BSS, 1:47.51
Townley Haas blew away the field, out very quickly in 50.85 and ultimately touching in 1:45.03 for the decisive win. That swim moves Haas into #1 for the world this year, and lowers his personal best by over half a second.
Indiana’s Blake Pieroni moved into 2nd on the second 50 and never relinquished it, holding off Zane Grothe down the stretch to earn the second individual World Championship spot in 1:46.30 to Grothe’s 1:46.39. Grothe had the fastest final 50 in a blazing 26.91.
From lane 8, Conor Dwyer pulled off an automatic relay berth with his 4th place finish in 1:47.25, holding off Clark Smith and Caeleb Dressel.
Maxime Rooney had a strong showing in the B-final, winning the heat in 1:47.47, while Jack LeVant had a big win in the C-final for the second straight night in 1:48.70.