2021 PRO SWIM SERIES – MISSION VIEJO (#3)
- April 8-11, 2021
- Marguerite Aquatics Center, Mission Viejo, CA
- Prelims – 4:00pm PST/Finals – 10:00am PST
- Meet central
- Meet information
- Psych sheets
- Live stream (USA Swimming – evening prelims & 800 free Thursday)
- Live stream (Olympic Channel – mid-day finals)
- Live results
- Day 4 Prelims Recap
Reported by Nick Pecoraro.
WOMEN’S 100 METER FREESTYLE — FINALS
- Pro Swim Series Record: 53.12, Sarah Sjostrom (SWE) — 2016
- Wave II Trials Cut: 55.56
- Wave I Trials Cut: 56.29
- Abbey Weitzeil (Cal Aquatics), 53.68
- Katie Ledecky (Nation’s Capital), 54.22
- Olivia Smoliga (Athens Bulldog), 54.61
Easily winning her second title in Mission Viejo was Cal’s Abbey Weitzeil, improving from her PM swim of 53.94 to go 53.68 in the morning. Weitzeil remains the 3rd-fastest American this season behind 2016 Olympic teammate Simone Manuel (53.34) and the Torri Huske (53.46). Weitzeil now ranks 13th in the world this season.
Closing in a strong 27.75 closing 50 to place second was distance star Katie Ledecky, nailing the wall at 54.22. Ledecky remains No. 5 in the US and No. 23 in the world this season. Placing third place by four-tenths was backstoker Olivia Smoliga, shaving 0.06s off her SB at 54.61. Smoliga also remains at No. 9 in the nation this season. Allison Schmitt touched out Poland’s Kasia Wasick 54.66 to 54.68 for fourth place. Coming in sixth was France’s Beryl Gastaldello at 54.78.