Reported by Lauren Neidigh.
2018 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Wednesday, February 14 – Sunday, February 18
- Rec Center Natatorium, College Station, TX (Central Time Zone)
- Prelims 10AM / Finals 6PM
- Defending Champion: Florida (5x) (results)
- Championship Central
- Psych Sheet
- Live results
- Live Video (finals)
MEN’S 1650 FREE:
- GOLD: Akaram Mahmoud, South Carolina, 14:37.01
- SILVER: Jacob Wielinski, Missouri, 14:44.24
- BRONZE: Blake Manganiello, Florida, 14:46.19
The Gamecocks swept the distance events this week as 500 free runner-up Akaram Mahmoud picked up a win in the 1650 free. Florida’s Blake Manganiello set the pace early on and lead through the 600, but Mahmoud took over and extended his lead through the last 1000 yards. Manganiello held on for bronze behind Missouri’s Jacob Wielinski. South Carolina’s Brandonn Almeida and Cody Bekemeyer battled closely for 4th, with Bekemeyer out-touching Almeida 14:48.58 to 14:48.60. They had a 4th man in the top 8 with Rafael Davila (14:51.39) at 6th place, making this a huge points haul for the Gamecocks.