2017 SPEEDO SECTIONALS – ITHACA
- March 30 – April 2, 2017
- Ithaca, NY
- Live results: Meet Mobile
- Course: SCY
Solo Aquatics 16-year-old Matthew Yish went 47.94 in the 100 fly to move up to #26 all-time in the 15-16 age group at day 2 of the Ithaca Sectional.
Yish won the event by about four tenths of a second, shaving six tenths off his previous personal best to take the win. He passes up some big names on the all-time list, including Rickey Berens. That swim also denied Hauppauge Athletic Association’s Drew Modrov a double on the night. Modrov was 48.37 for second after winning the 200 free in 1:37.62. Modrov is a former Auburn standout.
Badger Swim Club’s girls took a pair of titles on the night. 18-year-old Carly Cummings won the 400 IM in 4:12.63 to close out the night. That’s a drop of almost a second from her previous lifetime-best. Before that, 18-year-old Quinn Scannell went 1:48.07 to win the 200 freestyle for Badger. Asphalt Green’s Isabel Gormley was second in both races in lifetime-bests of 4:13.71 and 1:48.81.
Weston’s Sophie Angus moved up to #46 all-time in the 17-18 100 yard breaststroke. She won the event in 1:00.44, a drop of four tenths. Just behind her, Asphalt Green’s Sophia Zhang went 1:00.85 to move to #29 all-time in the 15-16 age group. Zhang is just 15, and that accounts for a drop of two seconds from her best time coming into the meet.
Other event winners:
- Piranha Swimming’s Oliver Rus went 55.09 to drop two tenths and win the boys 100 breast.
- Connor Doyle of Eastern Express went 3:52.50 to win the 400 IM by three and a half seconds.
- Team Suffolk’s Joyce Kwok won the girls 100 fly in 53.06.
- Kingfish won the boys 800 free relay and Asphalt Green the girls. Names of the swimmers on each relay were not available.