Vermont at Maine
- Vermont def. Maine 168-129
- Orono, Maine
- Nov. 3, 2018
Courtesy: Vermont Athletics
ORONO, Maine – Eight different Catamounts won nine events as Vermont (3-2, 1-1 AE) took a 168-129 win over the Maine Black Bears (0-4, 0-1 AE) Saturday afternoon in Orono, Maine.
“I am proud of how our ladies competed,” head coach Gerry Cournoyer said. “The score does not reflect how contested the meet actually was. We had a number of our athletes have breakout performances both in the pool and on the boards. We still have some events we need to get better at.”
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Madelyn Hawker (10:40.20) won the 1,000 free by more than 10 seconds. Hawker also won the 500 free with a time of 5:15.34 while Kristina Posnick (5:16.65) took second along with Maine’s Shayla-Rose Kleisinger (5:16.65).
- Amela Baxley (58.83) led a Vermont sweep of the 100 back. She was followed by Morgan Montgomery (1:00.78) and Kendall Ware (1:01.20) in second and third, respectively. Montgomery (2:08.05) and Baxley (2:09.95) flipped spots and combined to finish 1-2 in the 200 back.
- Julia DeGregorio headlined Vermont’s second sweep of the afternoon, posting a time of 2:10.22 in the 200 fly. Katie Rivers (2:16.25) and Colleen Driscoll (2:18.08) finished in second and third, respectively.
- Haley Gula won the 200 breast with a time of 2:27.06 and also finished second in the 100 breast with a time of 1:08.27.
- Brenna Cetrone took the three-meter board with a score of 244.20 and Emily Murphy finished second (226.20). Cetrone finished second in the one-meter diving (247.13), Ashley Branagan took third (203.92), and Murphy finished fourth (202.80).
Vermont continues its road trip with a trip to Stony Brook next Saturday (Nov. 10) for a 10 a.m. meet before taking on Bryant on Sunday (Nov. 11) in Smithfield, Rhode Island.