CIF Southern Section Division 4 Championships
- Prelims- Wednesday, May 10th
- Finals- Friday, May 12th
- Riverside Aquatic Complex (Riverside, California)
- Meet Info
- Prelims Recap
The 2017 CIF Southern Section Division 4 Championships are in the books, as the finals concluded on Friday night in Riverside, California. Downey brought home the team title on the women’s side, while Rowland brought in top honors on the men’s side.
A handful of Division 4 Meet Records fell on Friday night, the first of which came at the hands of Vistmar’s Keiko Derikoletis. In the 100 fly, Derikoletis blew away the field as she powered to a record time of 55.97. That cleared the former mark of 56.16 done by Kirstie Chen in 2008. Derikoletis returned for the 500 free later in the session, bringing home another gold in 5:09.02.
Another individual record was taken down by double event winner James Torrez. In his first race of the session, La Salle’s Torrez came up just hundredths shy of the Division 4 Meet Record in the 100 fly, winning gold in 49.55. In the 100 back, however, Torrez wouldn’t let the record get away from him. He blasted ahead of the field by 5 seconds with his 49.42, taking down the old record of 49.58 done by Angel Alcala in 2015.
The Rowland women teamed up to break a record in the 200 free relay. Melinda Wang got things started with a 25.62 leadoff split, followed by Megan Geer (26.48) and Meghan Chang (25.79). On the final leg, Katelyn Nguyen put up an explosive 22.89 anchor split to give the squad a final time of 1:40.78. That cleared Carpinteria’s old record of 1:41.56 from 2003 by 8 tenths.
Additional Event Winners:
- Women’s 200 Medley Relay- Downey, 1:55.11
- Women’s 200 Free- Nikki Cooper, Vistmar, 1:57.31
- Women’s 200 IM- Katelyn Nguyen, Rowland, 2:06.35
- Women’s 50 Free- Victoria Kirshner, Santa Clarita, 24.18
- Women’s 100 Free- Victoria Kirshner, Santa Clarita, 52.86
- Women’s 100 Back- Nikki Cooper, Vistmar, 1:00.54
- Women’s 100 Breast- Katelyn Nguyen, Rowland, 1:06.41
- Women’s 400 Free Relay- Rowland, 3:40.98
- Men’s 200 Medley Relay- La Salle, 1:41.94
- Men’s 200 Free- Dominic Falcon, Ocean View, 1:42.84
- Men’s 200 IM- Derek Chen, La Salle, 1:56.75
- Men’s 50 Free- Tobias Hynes, Grace Brethren, 21.60
- Men’s 100 Free- Caldarone Jared, San Dimas, 47.74
- Men’s 500 Free- Dominic Falcon, Ocean View, 4:35.22
- Men’s 200 Free Relay- San Dimas, 1:29.81
- Men’s 100 Breast- Brandon Alvarez, Lancaster, 59.02
- Men’s 400 Free Relay- San Dimas, 3:18.50