My go-to breakfast lately has been associated with some kind of toast. I don’t know what it is about sliced bread… but I truly believe that it is ‘the next best thing’. If you are looking for a creamy, crisp, and savory way to start your morning, this is it!
For those that know me well, I have been eating avocado toast for a very long time. After every Saturday morning practice, it was always avocado toast and a glass of orange juice. I’m not kidding… two years straight at least. Whether I was out to eat at a new restaurant or making breakfast for myself, it was an easy decision. It was just the perfect way to end the week!
Besides its delicious taste, I have multiple reasons as to why you should try this yourself. To start, it is a balanced breakfast. Carbohydrates in your sourdough, healthy fats in your avocado, eggs and bacon for your protein, and if you’re anything like me, you can get a little sweetness from the OJ to balance out your savory toast. Having a balanced breakfast as well as balanced meals throughout the day can help you stay feeling your best. Especially for competitive swimmers, energy levels will be sustained as well as recovery rates staying high.
Why should I eat avocado?
- Avocados are a very nutrient-dense fruit containing folate, vitamin K, C, E, B5, B6, magnesium and potassium.
- Avocados are a great source of fiber, promoting healthy gut function.
- Avocados are an anti-inflammatory food, helping reduce inflammation (swelling, pain, bloatedness) in the body.
- Ability to Improve memory and attention due to increased lutein.
Have a little fun with this breakfast and try jazzing it up! I kept it quick and simple for this recipe. But I have a couple of recommendations listed below.
- Add a drizzle of honey or balsamic glaze. I was hesitant at first to try either of these… but it is so good!
- Sub your salt for some feta cheese and/or everything bagel seasoning. Chefs kiss!
- Incorporate some veggies such as cherry tomatoes, thin sliced onion, microgreens, radishes, sprouts, etc.
- If you want more of a kick, try some red pepper flakes or hot sauce.
Another recommendation I have for you guys is to make your own sourdough bread. It sounds daunting and somewhat of a process… but it is totally worth it. For the taste, and it may save you a little money! If you have some spare time on a Sunday, I highly recommend it.
As always, if you decide to give this recipe a try, please tag me @rubyfaye99! I would love to see your end result and what you think!
- 1 avocado
- 2 slices of Trader Joe’s sourdough bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of bacon
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Grab as many slices of sourdough as you wish. Then pop them in the toaster until golden brown.
- While the sourdough is toasting, slice open the avocado. Remove and dispose of the pit, while placing the contents in a bowl. Mash with a fork until the consistency is spreadable.
- Over medium-high heat, place the bacon in a pan and cook for about 8 minutes total. Flipping halfway through.
*Feel free to cook your bacon how you wish here. I like my bacon a little more crisp. So, for this recipe, I did four minutes on one side and four minutes on the other.
- When the bread is hot and toasted, spread your avocado evenly over a piece of sourdough. Repeat with the other slice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the bacon is done, remove from the pan and set aside. Lower the heat to low and add the eggs. My eggs are over medium, 3 minutes on each side. .
*Feel free to cook your eggs how you wish here.