2022 Midwest All-Stars
- Jan. 15 – Jan. 17, 2022
- MidAmerican Energy Company Aquatic Center, Des Moines, IA
- SCY (Short Course Yards)
- Results on MeetMobile “2022 IA Midwest All Stars”
Boys Team Results
- Team Colorado – 751
- Team Iowa – 409
- Team Missouri Valley – 273
- Team Midwestern – 186
- Team South Dakota – 120
Girls Team Results
- Team Colorado – 791
- Team Iowa – 334
- Team Midwestern – 275
- Team Missouri Valley – 242
- Team South Dakota – 68.5
- Team North Dakota – 28.5
Team Colorado swept the team titles at the 2022 Midwest All-Stars meet held in De Moines, IA at the MidAmerican Energy Company Aquatic Center. The meet was held Jan. 15 – Jan. 17, 2022.
Colorado’s Amelia Mason won seven individual events in the 13-14 age group and was part of the winning 400 medley and free relays. She was 54.02 in the 100 fly, dropping almost a full second from her previous best (55.01). Mason, who swims for Flatiron Athletic Club, now holds the 4th fastest time in her age group this season in the event.
Mason also won the 200 fly, finishing in 2:02.34. The 200 fly was Mason’s 8th race of the meet, and she was a little over a second off of her best time. She is currently ranked 6th in the event this season with her time of 2:01.32.
Mason’s Other Individual Wins
- 200 free – 1:51.28 (best time)
- 200 IM – 2:06.44 (best time)
- 100 back – 57.53 (best time)
- 50 free – 23.80 (best time)
- 100 free – 51.36 (best time)
12-year-old Lucy Velte picked up six individual wins for Team Missouri Valley. Velte, who swims for Ad Astra Area Aquatics, went a 26.62 in the 50 back. She currently holds the fastest 11-12 50 back in the nation (26.01). Velte also won the 100 back at the All-Star meet (58.00). Her best time is 56.52, which is also the fastest 11-12 time in the nation.
In the 100 IM, Velte finished in 59.53, dropping over a second from her best time. She also ranks first in the event in her age group this season.
Velte’s Other Individual Wins
- 200 free – 1:58.18 (best time)
- 50 free – 24.40
- 100 fly – 59.05
Gavin Keogh of Team Colorado, who swims club with Mason at Flatiron, swept the backstroke events. Keogh was 1:53.36 in the 200, a new best time. The time puts Keogh just outside of the top 20 in the 13-14 age group, ranking him 21st this season. Keogh’s best time in the 100 back is 51.68 which ranks 11th this season. At the All-Star meet he finished in 52.40.
Other Notable Swims
- Grace Perry finished second for Team Colorado in the 50 fly with a new best time of 27.25. Perry’s time is the 5th fastest by an 11-year-old this season. She swims club with Falfins Swimming.
- Jenna Fernstrom won six individual events in the 11-12 age group. Fernstrom was part of Team Colorado and swims clubs at Aces Swim Club. She dropped two-seconds in the 100 free, finishing in 53.10. Her time is the second fastest this season in the 11-12 age group.
- Tobin Uhl swept the 13-14 breaststroke events. He dropped three-seconds in the 200 to finish in 2:10.08, and dropped almost half-a-second in the 100 to finish in 1:01.08. Uhl’s 200 breast ranks him 27th in the age group this season.
- Desmond Ortega won five individual events for Team Iowa in the 11-12 age group. His wins came in the 50 fly, 100 back, 50 back, 50 free, and 100 free. He also led-off Team Iowa’s winning 200 medley relay. He dropped 1.69 seconds in the 50 back, finishing in 27.28. Ortega, who swims for Rams Swim Club, now ranks 18th in the event this season in his age group.