2021 FINA WORLD CUP STOP #2 – BUDAPEST
- Thursday, October 7th – Saturday, October 9th
- Duna Arena, Budapest, Hungary
- SCM (25m)
- SwimSwam Preview
- Day 1 Prelims Recap/Day 1 Finals Recap
- Day 2 Prelims Recap/Day 2 Finals Recap
- Day 3 Prelims Recap
Age is just a number for American Tom Shields, as the 30-year-old just put up a huge new personal best and national record in the men’s 50m butterfly.
While competing on the final day of action in Budapest, Hungary for this second stop on the 2021 FINA World Cup circuit, Shields busted out a time of 21.99 to beat the field here by .25 but also beat out multi-Olympic gold medalist Caeleb Dressel‘s American record in this event.
Dressel had held the record at the 22.04 he produced during season 2 of the International Swimming League (ISL). As such, Shields’ 21.99 renders him as the first American to ever get under the 22-second threshold in this short course 50 butterfly event. Prior to this meet, Shields held a personal best of 22.09 from just last week in Berlin.
Expanding globally, Shields now ranks as the 6th fastest man ever, booting Dressel to slot #7.
Top 7 Men’s SCM 50 Fly Performers All-Time
- Nicolas Santos (BRA), 21.75 2018
- Steffen Deibler (GER), 21.80 2009
- Szebasztian Szabo (HUN), 21.86 2020
- Roland Schoeman (RSA), 21.87 2009
- Chad Le Clos (RSA), 21.95, 2014
- Tom Shields (USA), 21.99 2021
- Caeleb Dressel (USA), 22.04 2020