LIMA 2019 PARAPAN AM GAMES
- Villa Deportiva Nacional – Videna, Lima, Peru
- Para-Swimming: August 25th – August 29th
- Prelims 11 AM / Finals 8:30 PM (local time/US Central Time)
- Official Website
- Live results
Night two of the 2019 Parapan American Games saw Brazil tie its 15-medal performance from night one, and add a podium sweep. Mexico, which notched a sweep on the first night, added two more.
Mexico’s first podium sweep came in the men’s S3 200 free. Diego Lopez Diaz set a meet record by a whopping 42-plus seconds to win the event in 3:40.78. He was nearly 27 seconds ahead of silver medalist Marcos Zarate Rodriguez, who finished in 4:07.22. Their teammate Luis Burgos Godínez took third in 5:01.76.
Team Mexico’s second sweep of the night again involved Lopez Diaz and Zarate Rodriguez. Lopez Diaz won the men’s SM3 150 IM 2:57.50, three seconds under the prior meet record. Jose Castorena Velez took silver in 3:08.97 and Zarate Rodriguez bronze in 3:18.61.
Brazil’s sweep came in the men’s S9 50 free, a tight race led by Ruiter Goncalvez Silva, who set a meet record in prelims at 26.36. In finals, he took gold in 26.37, followed by Joao Rumond Olivia in 26.42. Vanilton do Nascimento Filho rounded out the all-Brazilian podium in 26.67.
Other notable performances:
- Mexico’s Matilde Alcazar Figueroa took 47 seconds off the previous meet record in the women’s S11 400 free, going 5:35.91 to win the event.
- American Lizzi Smith broke the meet record in women’s S9 50 free in prelims and finals. She was 29.69 in the morning and 29.55 to take gold at night. Brazil’s Joana Jaciara da Silva did the same in the S5 race, going 38.82 in the morning and 38.05 at night.
- Chile’s Vicente Almonacid Heyl won the men’s SB8 100 breast final in 1:13.14, over 5.5 seconds under the previous meet record.