2021 SYDNEY OPEN
- Thursday, May 13th – Sunday, May 16th
- Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre
- LCM (50m)
- Heats at 6pm local; Finals at 9am local
- Meet Site
- Start List
- SwimSwam Preview
- Results or Meet Mobile
Topping off a tremendous meet which saw Kaylee McKeown fire off a 100m backstroke time of 57.63 for a near-world record, as well as an Olympic-level 200m back swim of 2:04.31, the teen produced a new Australian, Oceanic and Commonwealth record in the 50m back.
After producing the top-seeded time of 27.46 to lead the women’s 50m back heats last night, McKeown blew away the field in a 27.16 scorcher, registering a new lifetime best in the process. Entering this meet, the USC Spartan’s quickest effort came in the form of the 27.38 she produced this January at the South Aussie State Championships.
However, McKeown managed to slice another .22 off of that result to log a new Aussie national record. Her time overtakes the 27.37 Emily Seebohm put on the books in 2017.
McKeown now ranks as the 6th fastest performer in history in the women’s 50m back event
All-Time Women’s LCM 50 Backstroke Performers:
- Liu Xiang (CHN) – 26.89, 2018
- Zhao Jing (CHN) – 27.06, 2009
- Kira Toussaint (NED) – 27.10, 2021
- Fu Yuanhui (CHN) – 27.11, 2015
- Etiene Medeiros (BRA) – 27.14, 2017
- Kaylee McKeown (AUS) – 27.16, 2021