Howard vs. American
- Nov. 1, 2019
- Washington D.C.
- Men: Howard 139-79
- Women: American 157-67
Courtesy: Howard Athletics
WASHINGTON (November 1, 2019) – Howard University men’s swimming and diving team secured a 139-79 victory over crosstown rival American inside Burr Pool. With the win, HU remains unbeaten on the season (4-0).
Howard opened and closed the night with a pair of relay victories.
Senior Maalik Nixon (Peachtree City, Ga.), junior William Speakman Smith II (Jacksonville, Fla.) and freshmen Mark-Anthony Beckles (Chaguanas, Trinidad & Tobago) and Miles Simon (Atlanta) represented HU in the men’s 200 Medley Relay where they placed first overall, clocking in at 1:36.63.
The nightcap saw Beckles, junior Kegan Ford (Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago) and newcomers T’lez Foulkes (Durham, N.C.) and Arion Solomon (Fairburn, Ga.) claim gold in the 200 Free Relay with a 1:26.55 mark.
Individually, Beckles (100 Free; 47.95), Ford (50 Free; 21.62), Simon (500 Free; 4:56.85) and Smith (100 Breast; 59.69) each won their respective individual events.
Other notable Bison performances included victories for newcomers Kevin Claiborne (Queens, N.Y.; 100 Back; 55.94) and Luke-Kennedy Thompson (Nassau, Bahamas; 1000 Free; 10:05.31)
Howard University women’s swimming and diving team fell short against American, 157-67, inside Burr Pool.
Junior Christian Nickolas (Brentwood, Calif.) and freshman Breyahna Tyme (Ontario, Canada) led the way with a pair of individual victories.
Nickolas won the women’s 1-meter dive with a 244.80 score while the Canada native claimed gold in the 100 Backstroke, clocking in at 1:00.22.
The 200 Free Relay squad of Skylar Smith (Los Angeles), junior DeAngela Fobbs (Upper Marlboro, Md.), sophomore Madison Freeland (Glenside, Pa.) and freshman Tiffanee Moore (Tallahassee, Fla.) placed second with a season-best 1:40.66.
Individually, junior Abolade Oyetunji (Pembroke Pines, Fla.; 500 Free; 5:43.23) and newcomer Courtney Connolly (White Lake, Mich.; 100 Butterfly; 58.93) posted season bests in their respective events.
Howard closes out its three-meet home stand against local foe George Washington (Nov. 9). First race is scheduled for 1 p.m. inside Burr Pool.
Courtesy: American Athletics
WASHINGTON – By a score of 157-67, the American University women’s swim and dive team beat Howard for the Eagles’ first dual meet win of the season. The men’s team earned four individual wins but fell to Howard overall, 139-79.
- On the women’s side, the Eagles captured wins in an impressive 10 out of 12 events against the Bison.
- Junior Ellie Kight won two individual events and a relay, taking first in the 200 freestyle (1:57.81), the 500 freestyle (5:13.03) and the 200 freestyle relay (1:40.56) along with senior Emily Gill, senior Ellen Johnson and junior Lily Koenig.
- Senior Alex Brosvik took first in the 100 freestyle in 54.53, followed in second place by junior Natalie Hamlet who earned her own win in the 200 individual medley with a time of 2:12.94.
- Sophomore Eleanor Felton placed first in the 50 freestyle in 25.05 and was part of the 200 medley relay win along with Brosvik, junior Abby Longstaff and junior Kyra Manson.
- The Eagles got a strong performance out of freshman Gabi Suarez who won the 1000 freestyle and took second in the 500 freestyle.
- Felton and Manson went 1-2 in the 50 freestyle in 25.05 and 25.15, respectively, while Mason earned an individual win in the 100 butterfly in 58.84.
- Sophomore Malak Hattab took first in the 100 breaststroke, finishing in 1:09.18.
- For the men, junior Liam Riebling won two events, taking the top spot in both the 100 butterfly (50.32) and the 200 individual medley (1:58.10).
- Freshman Jonathan Quick earned his second 200 freestyle win of the season, besting the field in a time of 1:47.33.
- In men’s 1-meter diving, senior Connor Chidsey took the top spot with a 188.75, followed in second by sophomore Christian Hernandez.
On Saturday, Nov. 9, AU will head to Patriot League foe Navy where the Eagles will also face Bucknell and Lafayette.